Hampton Institute (Virginia)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Hampton Institute, later Hampton University, was established as a Normal School in 1868 to teach former slaves and members of other ethnic groups how to teach..In 1878, they added a formal program to educate Native Americans.
To learn more about the Reservation Boarding School system,click here.
An American Indian Roster of students , 1878-1892, for Hampton Institute is available online. It includes pupils from 38 tribes. Click here
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 6 July 2012, at 14:50.
- This page has been accessed 2,253 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page