Hampton Institute (Virginia)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Hampton Institute, later Hampton University, was established as a Normal School in 1868 to teach former slaves and members of other ethnic groups how to teach..In 1878, they added a formal program to educate Native Americans.
To learn more about the Reservation Boarding School system,click here.
An American Indian Roster of students , 1878-1892, for Hampton Institute is available online. It includes pupils from 38 tribes. Click here
- American Indians: A Select Catalog of National Archives Microfilm Publications. Washington DC: National Archives Trust Fund Board, National Archives and Records Administration, 1998.
- Hill, Edward E. (comp.). Guide to Records in the National Archives of the United States Relating to American Indians. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Service, General Services Administration, 1981.
- Preliminary Inventory No. 163: Records of the Bureau of Indian Affairs. Washington DC: National Archives and Records Services. Available online
- This page was last modified on 6 July 2012, at 14:50.
- This page has been accessed 2,301 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More