Handsworth St Mary, StaffordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Handsworth St Mary, Staffordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Handsworth St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the county of Staffordshire. Other places in the parish include: Handsworth with Soho, Perry Barr, and Oscott.
(St. Mary the Virgin), a parish, in the union of West Bromwich, S. division of the hundred of Offlow and of the county of Stafford, 2½ miles (N. W.) from Birmingham. There is a place of worship for Independents in the Village. 
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Handsworth St Mary is an Ancient parish
Handsworth St Mary parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FS = FamilySearch - free|
|HANDSWORTH ST MARY PARISH Online Records|
Birmingham City Archives hold Bishop's transcripts Bap 1805-1865 Mar 1813-1837 Bur 1805-1889
The following parishes were formed from this parish
Handsworth St James formed in 1854 from part of Handsworth St Mary
Handsworth St James parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HANDSWORTH ST JAMES PARISH Online Records|
Birmingham City Archives hold BT's Bap and Bur 1849-1856 no Mar records
Handsworth St Michael formed 1861 from part of Handsworth St Mary
Handsworth St Michael parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|HANDSWORTH ST MICHAEL PARISH Online Records|
Birmingham City Archives hold Bt's Bap 1861-1864 only
Handsworth St Andrew formed 1914 from parts of Handsworth St Mary & Handsworth St James EP Birmingham City Archives hold no records for this parish
Many of Staffordshire's Parish Register entries have been transcribed in full by Staffordshire Freereg and can be searched for free.
Include here information for parish registers, Bishop’s Transcripts and other types of church records, such as parish chest records. Add the contact information for the office holding the original records. Add links to the Family History Library Catalog showing the film numbers in their collection
- 1532/3 - A List of Families in Handsworth St Mary, Staffordshire 1532/3 FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474615. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Staffordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Lewis, Samuel A., [ http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=51003 A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848)], pp. 396-401. Date accessed: 29 October 2012.
- ↑ 'IGI Batch Numbers for Stafford (A-M), England', IGI Batch Numbers - British Isles and North America, accessed 18 September 2013.
- ↑ Ann J. Kettle, A List of Families in the Archdeaconry of Stafford, 1532-3 (Stafford: Staffordshire Record Society, 1976). FHL British Book 942.46 B4sc ser. 4 v. 8
- This page was last modified on 25 September 2013, at 23:09.
- This page has been accessed 915 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More