Happisburgh, Norfolk GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing PLU|
|Parish registers: 1558|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
HAPPISBURGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 7 miles (E.) from North Walsham. The Primitive Methodists have a place of worship. 
Happisburgh St Mary is an Ancient Parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
The tower of the 15th century St Mary's church is an important landmark to mariners warning of the position of the treacherous nearby sandbanks. In 1940 a German bomber released a trapped bomb from its bays during its return to Germany and the shrapnel from the bomb can still be seen embedded in the aisle pillars of the church. The church's octagonal font, also of the 15th century, is carved with figures of lions and satyrs.
The part of the village near the coast regularly experiences severe erosion and houses that used to be over 20 feet from the sea now sit at the edge of a cliff and will later fall into the sea. Sea defences were built in 1959 to stop the tide from eating away at the coast. Changes in government policy, however, have discontinued management of coastal erosion in North Norfolk
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Happisburgh, Norfolk Genealogy parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Happisburgh, Norfolk Genealogy Online Parish Records|
|FS PRs||Undefined||1558-1754, 1758-1901||Undefined||1558-1754, 1759-1901||Undefined||1558-1754, 1758-1809, 1813-1886|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 516/1-7
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438861.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/Happisburgh.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Happisburgh on GenUKI
- Parish Info
- British History Online
- ;Literary Norfolk for Happisburgh connections
- Happisburgh on Norfolk Churches
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp401-404. Date accessed: 25 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Norfolk, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 20 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 8 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 27 May 2015, at 14:25.
- This page has been accessed 3,099 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News