Hardin County, TexasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hardin County Texas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
Hardin County Courthouse
PO Box 38
Kountze, TX 77625
County Clerk has birth records from 1892,
marriage, death and land records from 1859
and probate records from 1888; District Clerk
has divorce records
The first Anglo-American settlement was in 1832.
1886 -- The County Courthouse at Hardin, Texas caught fire on August 8, 1886. Some records were destroyed including the assessment rolls of the county, surveyor's records, and the county judge's records, including the probate records. The only records that may have been saved were those that were stored in an iron safe. After the fire, the county seat was moved from Hardin to Kountze.
Places / Localities
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
|Online Grave Transcripts||Published Grave Transcripts||County Cemetery Directories|
|Family History Library|
|See Texas Cemeteries for more information.|
Additional Cemetery Sources
- Rosedale Cemetery, Sour Lake - BillionGraves
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions, including deeds and mortgages, have been recorded by the county. You can obtain copies of these land records by writing to the county clerk at the county courthouse. For more information, see Texas Land and Property.
The FamilySearch Catalog lists microfilm copies of deeds, trust deeds, and mortgages of many counties.
Local histories are available for Hardin County, Texas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Texas Local Histories.
- Texas Land Survey Maps for Hardin County, Texas (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Texas Counties Map. Click on the county to go to the Texas Genweb site
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hardin County, Texas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Texas have been kept by the probate clerk in each county courthouse. You can obtain copies of the records from the clerk's office. In most counties, all information pertaining to a probate case is recorded in the "probate minutes."
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their places of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records.
See the Wiki page Texas Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Texas tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Texas Taxation.
Texas County Tax Rolls, 1846-1910 lists FHL films with county tax lists. The lists vary by county and year. Most records are between the years of 1846 - 1910.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. United States Vital Records has additional research guidance on researching and using vital records. See Texas Vital Records for more information about Vital records in Texas or How to order Texas Vital Records
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Texas Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred, ordered electronically online or download an application for Texas Birth and Death Certificate, Marriage or Divorce Verification Application to mail.
Online Birth Indexes and Records
- Texas Birth Index, 1903-1997 (index)- FamilySearch
- Texas, Birth Certificates, 1903-1935 (images and index) - FamilySearch
- Texas, Births and Christenings, 1840-1981 - FamilySearch
Original Birth Records on Microfilm
Online Marriage Indexes and Records
- Texas, County Marriage Index, 1837-1977 ~ FamilySearch records collection
- Texas, Marriages, 1837-1973 ~ FamilySearch record collection
- Texas, Marriages, 1966-2010 ~ FamilySearch record collection
Original Marriage Records on Microfilm
Online Death Indexes and Records
- Texas Death Records 1890 – 1976 [with images]
Name index and images of statewide death certificates, 1890-1976. The name index has been created by FamilySearch and is tied to images of the Texas death certificates. Few certificates are available prior to 1903.
- Texas Death Index 1964 to 1998 [no images] Name index to Texas Statewide Death Certificates or four million people who have died since 1964.
Original Death Records on Microfilm
- Texas Divorce Records 1968 - 2005 (index) - Hidden Ancestors
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- TXGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the county
- FamilySearch Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hardin County, Texas. Page 665 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Hardin, Texas - Handbook of Texas Online http://www.tshaonline.org/handbook/online/articles/hrh11
- ↑ Hardin, TX Hardin County Courthouse Fire, Aug 1886 http://www3.gendisasters.com/texas/17587/hardin-tx-hardin-county-courthouse-fire-aug-1886
- This page was last modified on 20 October 2014, at 15:56.
- This page has been accessed 9,820 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki