Harmon County, OklahomaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Harmon County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Harmon County, Oklahoma|
| Map of Oklahoma highlighting Harmon County|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
| Map of the U.S. highlighting Oklahoma|
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||June 2, 1909|
|Address|| Harmon County Courthouse|
114 W. Hollis
Hollis, Oklahoma 73550
Prior to 1909, Harmon County was a part of Greer County, Texas. Not until this year did a Supreme Court decision officially declare the area part of Oklahoma. As such, some records prior to this date may be found in Texas registers.
Cemetery indexes and transcriptions
- <a href="http://freepages.books.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~coaly/harmondirectory.html">GenWeb transcription index</a>
- <a href="http://www.findagrave.com/cgi-bin/fg.cgi?page=csr&CScn=&CScntry=4&CSst=38&CScnty=2156">Find-a-Grave index</a>
Funeral Home records:
- <a href="http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~swokla/harmon/pettyfuneral1a.html">Petty Funeral Home, 1926-1937</a>
- <a href="http://freepages.history.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~swokla/harmon/spoonrfuneral2.html Spooner">Funeral Home, 1926-1938</a>
Land records from 1909 are available in the County Courthouse and in the local County History Museum, both in Hollis.
- Belle, Dean. Planning the Route, Harmon County, Oklahoma History (Harmon County Historical Association, 1980).
- Carter, Edith. Planning Route 2, Harmon County, Oklahoma History (Altus Printing Company, 1987).
Microfilms of many editions of these historical newspapers are available at the Harmon County Library in Hollis.
Tax records from 1909 can be found at the County Courthouse in Hollis, though the local historical society stores many of these log books in the County History museum. Just ask to see them if you wish.
The County Courthouse has birth, marriage, and death records from 1909.
Societies and Libraries
- Harmon County Genealogical Society
102 W. Broadway Str.
Hollis, OK 73550
- Hollis Public Library
W. Broadway & 2nd Street
Toll free: (888)554-5358
- Harmon County Courthouse
114 N. First
Hollis, Oklahoma 73550
- USGenWeb project
- Harmon County entry in Encyclopedia of Oklahoma History and Culture
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harmon County, Oklahoma. Page 559 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 13 May 2013, at 19:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,105 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More