Harney County, Oregon GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Harney County, Oregon ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Harney County, Oregon|
Location in the state of Oregon
Location of Oregon in the U.S.
|Founded||February 23, 1889|
|Named for: Gen. William Shelby Harney|
Harney County Courthouse
450 North Buena Vista Avenue
Burns, Or 97720
County Clerk has marriage records from 1911,
land and probate records from 1889, military
records from 1943 and naturalization records.
Clerk Circuit Court has divorce and court records. 
County Records Inventory listing the records held at the Harney County Court House as of July 2008.
Harney County Court is structured differently. Check the County Records Inventory link for addresses for location of records (left column).
- Record Loss:
Named for Brig. Gen. William S. Harney of U.S. Army, who was involved in "Pig War" and popular in the Pacific Northwest.
No parts were taken to create any county.
For animated maps illustrating Oregon County boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Oregon County Boundary Maps" (1843-1975) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Places / Localities
Information about localities, too small or too brief to describe in separate pages. Exception to this are Post Offices. > Trivia Tidbits
Archives and Libraries
- 1870, part of Grant County. Entire area that later formed Harney County was not enumerated.
- 1880, part of Grant County. Entire area that later formed Harney County was not enumerated.
Church History and Records
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Hines, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and Property
Military History and Records
Oregon Online Historical Newspapers - identifies historical archived and digitized newspapers available online on both free and pay-to-access websites.
Rivers and Waterways
Details about the rivers and waterways where farms and settlements are often found along them. >> Rivers and Waterways
Many early marriages are listed on the Western States Marriage Index.
See also How to order Oregon Vital Records, order electronically online or download an application for Oregon Birth Certificate, Marriage Certificate, Divorce Certificate, Death Certificate Application to mail.
Societies, Libraries, Museums
Family History Centers
Family History Centers provide one-on-one assistance and free access to premium genealogical websites. In addition, many centers have free how-to genealogy classes. See Family History Centers for more information. Search the online FHC directory for a nearby family history center.
- Burns Oregon Family History Center 600 N Saginaw Ave Hines OR 97720
- Harney County, OR History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Oregon Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Oregon Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- The Harney County GenWeb Project, part of The ORGenWeb Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project
- The USGenWeb Archives Project (backup site)
Harney County Oregon Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Harney County, Oregon page 572, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ WorldCat 50140092 ▲ FHL Collection Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed.] (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002)
- This page was last modified on 6 February 2015, at 03:06.
- This page has been accessed 10,555 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More