Hart County, GeorgiaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hart County, Georgia ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hart County, Georgia|
Location in the state of Georgia
|Founded||December 7, 1853|
|Address|| Hart County Courthouse|
PO Box 279
Hartwell, GA 30643-0279
Hart County Website
Hart County Courthouse
PO Box 279
Hartwell, GA 30643-0279
Probate Court has birth, marriage, death, burial, and probate records; Clerk Superior Court has divorce, court and land records, from 1856.
For animated maps illustrating Georgia county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Georgia County Boundary Maps" (1758-1932) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Georgia denominations, see the Georgia Church Records wiki page.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Georgia Land and Property for additional information about early Georgia land grants from the government. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions (generally buying and selling deeds) were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Hart County, Georgia. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Georgia Local Histories.
- Maps of Georgia (1758-1932)
- Sanborn Fire Insurance Maps: Hart County, Georgia
- Georgia Info Historical County Maps: Hart County, Georgia
Regiments. Service men in Hart County, Georgia served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies that were specifically formed in Hart County, Georgia:
- - 15th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company H
- - 16th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company C
- - 24th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company B
- - 37th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company D; Company A, 9th Battalion
- - 38th Regiment, Georgia Infantry (Confederate), Company F
- - Georgia USGenWeb Archives Project (other war's information is also given)
Newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hart County, Georgia newspapers in online catalogs like:
Colonial courts kept some early probate records. From 1777 to 1798 and since 1852, the court of ordinary or register of probates has kept probate and guardianship records. The inferior court handled probate and guardianship matters from 1798 to 1852.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, marriage, adoption, and birth and death records (not all years).
- Wills 1862-1866 (digital images). See names of Testators. Georgia Pioneers
- Index to Wills 1847-1894 Georgia Pioneers ($)
- Index to Inventories, Book B, 1862-1890 Georgia Pioneers ($)
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Georgia State Department of Health , the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred or order electronically online..
- 1854-1869 - Hart County Marriage Index 1854-1869. Batch M713041 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1854-1895 - Hart County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1854-1895. Batch M713042 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867-1895 - Hart County Marriage Book B Index 1867-1895. Batch M713043 at FamilySearch - free.
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- List of Georgia Archives, Libraries, Publications, Historical & Genealogical Societies
- Hart County Public Library
- Hart County Historical Society: 31 East Howell Street, Hartwell, GA 30643; (706) 376-6330
Family History Centers
- Hart County, GA History, Records, Facts and Genealogy
- Georgia Genealogy Network Community on Google+
- Georgia Genealogy Network Group on Facebook
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Hart County, Georgia Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Georgia Pioneers Georgia Pioneers ($)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hart County, Georgia. Page 156 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Paul K. Graham, Georgia Courthouse Disasters (Decatur, Georgia: Genealogy Co., 2013), 37. At various libraries (WorldCat).
- ↑ 4.0 4.1 4.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/57/Igigeorgiael.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2014, at 20:47.
- This page has been accessed 11,466 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More