Hastingleigh, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hastingleigh, Kent ancestry, family history, and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Hastingleigh St Mary Kent
|Hundred||Bircholt Franchise and Barony|
|Poor Law Union||East Ashford PLU|
|Registration District||East Ashford|
|Parish registers: 1730|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1563|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Canterbury|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
HASTINGLEIGH (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of East Ashford, franchise and barony of Bircholt, lathe of Shepway, E. division of Kent, 6½ miles (E. by N.) from Ashford. 
Hastingleigh is a village and civil parish in the Ashford district of Kent, see Hastingleigh Wikipedia
Hastingleigh St Mary the Virgin is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Canterbury; it is one of the Wye United benefice churches with Wye with Brook & Hastlingleigh with Boughton Aluph & Eastwell. See also Wye benefice website A church near you
The Church of St Mary the Virgin has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Hastingleigh, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|FMP = FindMyPast - (£)|
|FREG = FreeREG - free|
|MIDK = Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911 - free|
|Hastingleigh, Kent Online Parish Records|
||1781-1833 (Banns)||1781-1833 (Banns)||1730-1812||1730-1812|
Images for Brabourne, Kent and Hastingleigh available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
Images for Brabourne and Hastingleigh 1780-1831are derived from 1987 microfilm at Kent Archives Office reference DRB/RT43-44. Land tax assessments for Brabourne, Kent and Hastingleigh 1780-1831
Family History Library BRITISH Film 1469808 Items 1-2
The images refer to the West Brabourne part of the parish; Edward Hasted refers to "Combe, Bedlestone, the hamlet of West Braborne-street and Hampton"
The History and Topographical Survey of the County of Kent: Volume 8 (1799), pp. 14-27 at British History Online
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
Category:England Family History Centres to locate local Family History Centres in UK
Introduction to LDS Family History Centers to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848), pp. 435-441. Date accessed: 15 August 2013.
- ↑ 'Coverage of Kent parish baptism records', Find My Past, accessed 5 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury baptism records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury banns coverage', Find My Past, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Canterbury burial records coverage', Find My Past, accessed 14 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Kent Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 6 November 2013.
- ↑ 'Mid-Kent Marriage Index 1754-1911,' Woodchurch Ancestry Group, accessed 16 January 2014.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2014, at 18:29.
- This page has been accessed 3,592 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More