Hawaii Church RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Between 1820 and 1850, missionaries of many churches visited Hawaii. By 1900 the largest religious groups in the islands were The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (LDS), Congregational (United Church of Christ), Presbyterian, and Roman Catholic. Later, the Buddhists became a major group.
For an excellent introduction, see:
- Mulholland, John F. Hawaii's Religions. Rutland, Vt.: Charles E. Tuttle Co., 1970. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 996.9 K2m
The Family History Library has extensive collections of mission and temple records for the LDS Church, including an index of memberships, 1850 to 1961, on 9 microfilms.
The State of Hawaii has compiled many of the Vital Records from Churches and holds these records in the state archives. For more information see Hawaii Vital Records- Civil Registration under the section on State Records.
Buddhist records are kept at the individual Buddhist temples.
Addresses of major denominations include:
Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormons)
Early church records, for the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints, for Hawaii Wards and Branches can be found on film and are located at the LDS Family History Library in Salt Lake City. The film numbers, for each ward, can be locate through the Family History Library Catalog . Or by refering to Jaussi, Laureen R., and Gloria D. Chaston. Register of Genealogical Society Call Numbers. 2 vols. Provo, Utah: Genealogy Tree, 1982. (FHL book 979.2258 A3j; fiche 6031507). These volumes contain the film numbers for many (but not all) membership and temple record films.
14 Beacon Street
Boston, MA 02108
Phone: (617) 523-0470
Fax: (617) 523-0470
Presbyterian Historical Society
425 Lombard Street
Philadelphia, PA 19147-1516
Phone: (215) 627-1852
Fax: (215) 627-0509
Diocese of Honolulu, Chancery Office
1184 Bishop Street
Honolulu, HI 96813
Phone: (808) 533-1791
Fax: (808) 521-8428
- ↑ Sydney E. Ahlstrom, A Religious History of the American People (New Haven, Conn.: Yale University Press, 1972). At various libraries (WorldCat) FHL Book 973 K2ah.
- ↑ Map of the Roman Catholic Dioceses in the United States of America, Office of Catholic Schools Diocese of Columbus, accessed 3 Nov 2010.
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2013, at 19:31.
- This page has been accessed 1,276 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More