Hawaii County, HawaiiEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Hawaii County, Hawaii|
Location in the state of Hawaii
Location of Hawaii in the U.S.
|Address|| Hawaii County Courthouse|
25 Aupuni Street
Hilo, HI 96720
Hawaii County Website
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|* For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Parent County: created in 1905 from Hilo (old) county
- County seat: Hilo 
- Neighboring Island: Maui
For tips on accessing Hawaii County, Hawaii census records online, see: Hawaii Census.
- 1878 (Oahu)
- 1900 United States Census - Hawaii
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Hawaii denominations, view the Hawaii Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Hawaii County, Hawaii. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Hawaii Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Hawaii Land and Property for additional information about early Hawaii land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
State Health Dept has marriage, death, wills, wills, probate and land records.
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Hilo Hawaii Family History Center
- Honokaa Hawaii Family History Center
- Ka'u Hawaii Family History Center
- Keei Hawaii Family History Center
- Kohala Hawaii Family History Center
- Kona Hawaii Family History Center
- Lanai Hawaii Family History Center
- Molokai Hawaii Family History Center
- Waimea Hawaii Family History Center
Vital records consist of birth, death, marriage and divorce records. The State office has some records as early as 1853 up to the present. See the State of Hawaii, Department of Health website for information on acquiring the records and any restrictions.
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Hawaii County, Hawaii Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hawaii County, Hawaii page 170, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:48.
- This page has been accessed 8,346 times.