Hawaii GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Most archives, historical societies, and genealogical societies have special collections and indexes of genealogical value. These must usually be searched in person. You may want to write to the Hawaii State Archives for information about its collection of manuscript genealogies. (Indexes to the State Archives)
An important manuscript collection of compiled genealogies for Hawaii is William A. Cole's Cole-Jensen Collection. This consists of 51 binders and folders of oral genealogy transcripts collected from Polynesians of Hawaii, New Zealand, Samoa, Tahiti, and the Cook Islands, microfilmed in 1984. The Hawaiian genealogies comprise three of nine microfilms (beginning on Family History Library film 1358001). The original materials no longer exist as an intact collection. This collection has been digitized. See Pacific Islands under Community Trees.
A major published genealogical collection is Edith Kawelohea McKinzie, Hawaiian Genealogies: Extracted from Hawaiian Language Newspapers. Two Volumes. (Honolulu: Brigham Young University–Hawaii, 1983-6; Family History Library book 996.9 D2m). The FamilySearch Catalog also lists several sources on Hawaiian nobility under HAWAII - NOBILITY.
For more information on Hawaiian genealogies see this article: Samoan, Tongan and other Polynesian Genealogies
Writing and Sharing Your Family History
Sharing your own family history is valuable for several reasons:
- It helps you see gaps in your own research and raises opportunities to find new information.
- It helps other researchers progress in researching ancestors you share in common.
- It draws other researchers to you who already have information about your family that you do not yet possess.
- It draws together researchers with common interests, sparking collaboration opportunities. For instance, researchers in various localities might choose to do lookups for each other in remote repositories. Your readers may also share photos of your ancestors that you have never seen before.
- See also:
- AncestorHunt Hawaii Genealogy
- Honolulu County Genealogical Society
- Native Hawaiian Genealogy Society
- Hawaii Linkpendium - Hawaii Family History & Genealogy
- Hawaii Access Genealogy - Access Hawaii Genealogy Data and Links
- This page was last modified on 25 July 2014, at 18:11.
- This page has been accessed 2,698 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki