Hawarden Poor Law UnionEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
See also: Flintshire Poor Law Unions
Hawarden Poor Law Union officially came into being on 1st February, 1853, and encompassed the western part of the Great Boughton union which the Poor Law Board had decided covered too great an area.
The new union erected a workhouse in 1853-4 ast a site to the north-east of Broughton.
After 1938, the workhouse became Broughton Public Assistance Institution but was adapted for use as a mental hospital. It then became Broughton Hospital, which finally closed in 1994. The buildings have now been completely demolished and replaced by a housing estate.
County of Cheshire:Claverton, Doddleston , Eaton , Eccleston, Lower Kinnerton, Marlston-with-Leach, Poulton, Pulford, Great Saughall, Little Saughall, Shotwick, Shotwick Park, Woodbank.
Claverton extra Parochial
Dodleston, Cheshire includes: Lower Kinnerton, Moorend Farm, Balderton, and Gorstella.
Shotwick, Cheshire includes: Great Saughall, Capenhurst, Little Saughall, and Woodbank.
Shotwick Park, Cheshire extra parochial
Flintshire Record Office, The Old Rectory, Hawarden, Flintshire, CH5 3NR. Holdings include: Guardians' minute books (1857-1930, with gaps); Creed register (1914-21); Casuals' admissions and discharges (1916-32); Ledgers (1919-1930)
Cheshire Record Office DocumentReference ZTRU/49
Title Four agreements between the Guardians of Chester Union with the Guardians of the Unions of Prescot, Hawarden, Wirral and Tarvin for the reception and maintenance of patients from Chester Union Workhouse, due to the conversion of Chester Union Workhouse as a temporary military hospital. Also contracts for building work and installations re this conversion.
- This page was last modified on 1 April 2011, at 15:21.
- This page has been accessed 801 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page