Help:Format for Source Citations in FamilySearch Historical Records CollectionsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The "Citing" Part of the Citation
The "citing" part of citations for a Historical Records collection varies depending on the original source of the information. For indexes provided by third-party websites, the citation includes the title of the record set on the third-party's website and the name and locality of the archive that houses the original records (if known). For collections coming from other sources, the name and locality of the archive is included in the citation. And for collections coming from multiple archives, general archive information is provided.
Items that may be included in the "citing" part of citations for FamilySearch Historical Records collections:
- Name of the agency or creator of the records
- Title of the original record set or a generic descriptive term
- Name of the archive
- Locality of the archive
For a third-party website:
- Citing "Parish Records Collection 1538-2005." Index and images. findmypast .co.uk. www.findmypast.co.uk : Brightsolid, 2012. The National Archives, Kew, Surrey.
- Citing "Wisconsin Death Index." Index." Ancestry.com. www.ancestry.com : 2012. NARA microfilm publication M1234. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration.
For one repository or archive:
- Citing Afragola City Offices.
- Citing Wisconsin State Historical Society, Madison.
For multiple repositories or archives:
- Citing county courthouses and public libraries, Mississippi.
- Citing various libraries, offices, and a private collection.
Citations are created for each collection, each record within a collection, and each image that is available online from a collection. The collection citation is available at the bottom of the collection's landing page (a.k.a. search page), the record citation is available at the bottom of the record's index page (the page displaying the information contained in the record), and the image citation is available by clicking "Show Citation" at the bottom left of each image.
To report issues with a collection, record, or image citation, contact the User Guidance supervisor.
- This page was last modified on 12 June 2014, at 19:24.
- This page has been accessed 20,272 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki