Help:How the Wiki is organizedEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
The Research Wiki is an interactive network of linked information about genealogy. The Research Wiki has individual pages, those with content about genealogy are referred to as articles.
There are some basic organizational structures that help users find information. These include:
- Search engine. The Research Wiki has an integrated search engine that will search on any word or combination of words on any page. There is a search box on almost every page.
- Categories. Many pages have categories on the bottom of the page. You can click on a category to see related articles.
- Namespaces. There is a general structure to the Research Wiki called Namespaces. Most of the articles are in the Main Namespace, but you can find additional resources in other namespaces.
- Geographical linking. Most of the articles in the Wiki are organized according to geographical jurisdiction and linked to related jurisdictions.
- Subject headings. Try searching for a topic such as probate or vital records. Some of the articles are organized by topic.
Finding information about a specific locality
Before you begin a search for information on a specific locality, it is a good idea to verify a connection between your ancestor and the locality. Here are some resources to assist you in finding and verifying locality information.
- A New Genealogy Research Locality Tool
- Locality Subject Subdivisions
- How to Get the Best Research Advice
- Guessing the Easiest to Research Person and Event
- How to Guess Where to Start
- How to Begin a Search for Your Ancestor
- A Guide to Research
It is always helpful to locate places on a map in order to see relationships and to support or deny a theory about the family's movements. Look at the basic Research Wiki page for Maps. Remember the online mapping programs.
Finding information about a specific topic
The Research Wiki is partially organized by topic or subject as well as geographically. But each geographic area in the entire Wiki has its own list of topics. Here is a sample list from the general topic of the United States:
Basic Search Strategies and Record Selection Table
|States and Capitols Map||Adoption||African Americans|
|American Indians||Archives and Libraries||Bible Records|
|Church Records||Correctional Institutions||Court Records|
|Database Websites||Directories||Emigration and Immigration|
|Land and Property||Maps||Migration|
|Military Records||Minorities||Naturalization and Citizenship|
|Vital Records||Voter Records||Other Records|
Try looking for a specific geographic jurisdiction for a list of topics more directed at that location.
Learn More About...
Wiki Basics for Conributors
History and Organization of the Wiki
All About the Wiki
- This page was last modified on 28 October 2014, at 18:51.
- This page has been accessed 489 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page