Hempstead (near North Walsham), NorfolkEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hempstead (near North Walsham), Norfolk family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hempstead (near North Walsham), Norfolk|
|Poor Law Union||Tunstead and Happing PLU|
|Parish registers: 1707|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1698|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Norfolk|
|Location of Archive|
|Norfolk Record Office|
HEMPSTEAD (St. Andrew), a parish, in the hundred of Happing, E. division of Norfolk, 3½ miles (N. E.) from Stalham. 
Hempstead St Andrew (with Eccles or Eccles next the Sea) is an Ancient Parish in the Waxham deanery of the Diocese of Norwich.
It was anciently known as Hempstede.
It is consolidated with Eccles by the Sea in some records, and is known as Hempstead with Eccles. Also known as Hempstead near Stalham.
This parish should not be confused with Hempstead (near Holt), Norfolk or parishes in Essex. Nor should it be confused with Eccles which is about 8 miles northwest of Diss.
The church was constructed sometime prior to the end of the 14th century, dedicated to St Andrew. The building still retains almost all of its original architecture, including its completely unrestored, uneven top beam. The real significance of the church comes from the rare quality of the painting on the rood screen. The screen consists of two ranges of eight panels each, the panels arranged in pairs. In February 1982, a thief armed with a screwdriver removed one the priceless painted boards of the rood screen. On it was an image of St Eligius. The panel has never been recovered.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
- Tunstead 1837-1869
- Smallburgh 1870-1938
- North Walsham 1939-1974
Hempstead (near North Walsham), Norfolk parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Hempstead (near North Walsham), Norfolk Online Records|
Norfolk Record Office reference PD 273/1-4
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 438861.
http://www.btinternet.com/~e.c.apling/1891Census/HempsteadEccles.htm transcript of 1891 census
Poor Law Unions
For Tunstead and Happing see http://www.institutions.org.uk/workhouses/england/norf/smallburgh_workhouse.htm
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Norfolk Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- Norfolk: Hempstead near Stalham on GenUKI
- Eccles by the Sea on GenUKI
- British History Online
- Hempstead Norfolk Churches website
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis,A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 474-478. Date accessed: 26 March 2013.
- ↑ Percival Boyd, A List of Parishes in Boyd's Marriage Index (London: Society of Genealogists, 1987). Digital version at FamilySearch Books Online.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage', FreeREG, accessed 25 February 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk Archdeacon's Transcripts, 1600-1812,' FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Bishop's Transcripts, 1685-1941', FamilySearch, accessed 31 March 2014.
- ↑ 'England, Norfolk, Parish Registers (County Record Office), 1538-1900', FamilySearch, accessed 17 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Norfolk Coverage,' The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 11 February 2014.
- This page was last modified on 13 October 2014, at 02:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,990 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki