Hempstead County, ArkansasEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hempstead County Arkansas genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hempstead County, Arkansas|
Location in the state of Arkansas
Location of Arkansas in the U.S.
|Founded||December 15, 1818|
|Address|| Hempstead County Courthouse|
PO Box 1420
Hope, AR 71801-1420
- 1818--Hempstead County was created 15 December 1818 from Arkansas County. County seat: Hope  Its existence predates the state of Akansas which was admitted to the union in 1836. Hempstead County was part of the Missouri Territory from 1818 to 1819 and part of the Arkansas Territory from 1819 to 1836.
See an interactive map of Hempstead County border changes at N2Genealogy.
- Cemeteries are found on the Hempstead ARGenweb site, the Hempstead Archives website and the Findagrave website.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Arkansas denominations, view the Arkansas Church Records wiki page.
- Index to Chancery Court Records Hempstead Co. ARGenweb
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Arkansas Land and Property for additional information about early Arkansas land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Federal Land Records Hampstead County Hempstead County Archives
Local histories are available for Hempstead County, Arkansas. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see Arkansas Local Histories.
- A Census of Pensioners for Revolutionary or Military Services: With their Names, Ages, and Places of Residence, as Returned by the Marshalls of the Several Judicial Districts, Under the Act for Taking the Sixth Census]. 1841. Digital version at Google Books. 1967 reprint: FHL Collection 973 X2pc 1840. [See Arkansas, Hempstead County on page 191.]
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hempstead County, Arkansas newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records of Arkansas have been kept by the probate or county courts. You can obtain copies of the original records by contacting the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Family History Library has microfilm copies of many Arkansas probate records. See Arkansas Probate Records for more information about Probate records in Arkansas, including statewide indexes.
Arkansas tax records replace missing censuses and provide lists of residents during years between censuses. There may be gaps of several years for some counties. For more information see Arkansas Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Arkansas Vital Records State Department of Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred. See also Arkansas Vital Records Online and Arkansas Statewide Indexes and Collections at the Family History Library.
- 1817-1875 - Hempstead County Marriages, 1817 - 1875 Hempstead County Archives
- 1817-1921 - Hempstead County Marriage Books A-N, S-V Index 1817-1921 in International Genealogical Index at FamilySearch - free.
- 1819-1951 - Hempstead County Marriage Books A-Z, 1-11 Index 1819-1951 in Arkansas, County Marriages, 1837-1957 at FamilySearch - free.
- Freedmens' Marriages Hempstead County Hempstead Co.ARGenweb
Vital Record Substitutes
Genealogy Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Hempstead County ARGenweb
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Hempstead County, Arkansas Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists : United States of America, 10th ed., (Draper, UT: Everton Publishers, 2002), p. 67.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0d/Igiarkansasem.pdf.
- ↑ FamilySearch Wiki contributors, "Arkansas County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)," in FamilySearch Wiki, accessed 18 April 2013.
|This Arkansas-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 17 May 2013, at 20:34.
- This page has been accessed 2,565 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More