Hennepin County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hennepin County, Minnesota ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hennepin County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||March 6, 1852|
|Address|| Hennepin County Courthouse|
300 S 6th Street
Minneapolis, MN 55487-0001
Hennepin County Website
Clerk District Courth has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage, divorce and court records. 
- 1852--Hennepin County was created 6 March 1852 from Dakota County. County seat: Minneapolis 
- For a brief history of how Hennepin County was named, click here. Then select Hennepin County.
Bloomington | Brooklyn Center | Brooklyn Park | Champlin | Chanhassen | Corcoran | Crystal | Dayton | Deephaven | Eden Prairie | Edina | Excelsior | Golden Valley | Greenfield | Greenwood | Hanover | Hopkins | Independence | Long Lake | Loretto | Maple Grove | Maple Plain | Medicine Lake | Medina | Minneapolis | Minnetonka | Minnetonka Beach | Minnetrista | Mound | New Hope | Orono | Osseo | Plymouth | Richfield | Robbinsdale | Rockford | Rogers | Shorewood | Spring Park | St. Anthony Village | St. Bonifacius | St. Louis Park | Tonka Bay | Wayzata | Woodland
- Eden Prairie Cemetery, Eden Prairie BillionGraves
- Lakewood Cemetery, Minneapolis, Minnesota, has a name search.
- Cemeteries listings. US Gen Web Archives. Bloomington, Chaplin, Crystal Lake, Fort Snelling, Greenwood, Lakewood, Summit Park, Unitarian Wyzata, Evangelical Bohemian Presbyterian Minnetonka
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
LDS Ward and Branch Records
Bethany Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- Records of the Bethany Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- Records of the Bethlehem Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Gethsemane Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- Records of Gethsemane Scandinavian Evangelical Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- Records of the Immanuel Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Liberty Evangelical Lutheran Church, Minneapolis
- Records of Liberty Evangelical Lutheran Church, Minneapolis, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Fold3.com ($) has Minneapolis City Directories 1865-1923 (4 yrs. missing) available online.
- Fold3.com ($) has St. Paul City Directories 1863-1924 (4 yrs. missing) available online.
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Hennepin – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Hennepin County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Hennepin County, Minnesota (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- Simple map of Hennepin County Communities and Townships
Civil War service men from Hennepin County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are companies or regiments that were formed from men of Hennepin County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Company A.
- - 1st Battalion, Minnesota Infantry Volunteers, Company B.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company E.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Company D.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies G and I.
- - 3rd Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company A.
- - 4th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company C.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies B, C, and D.
- - 8th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies A and K.
- - 9th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Companies A and B.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - Brackett's Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies B and C.
- - Hatch's Independent Battalion, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies A, B, C and E.
- - 1st Minnesota Company Sharpshooters, First Company only
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hennepin County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaper Links - Minnesota Historical Society
- Chronicling America (Library of Congress) This freely accessible website, available from any Internet connection, hosts historic newspapers (1860-1922) from across the United States for noncommercial, educational and research purposes. Currently the following Minnesota titles are available on Chronicling America, with more to follow:
The appeal . (Saint Paul, Minn.) 1889-19?? African-American newspaper. More than 1,500 issues between 1889 and 1922 have been digitized and are fully searchable on-line at the Library of Congress, Chronicling America website.
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
- Anoka Minnesota Family History Center
- Bloomington Minnesota Family History Center
- Minneapolis Minnesota Family History Center
- Hennepin County, MN Genealogy Forum (GenForum)
- FamilySearch Catalog
- Hennepin County US Gen Web Site
- Hennepin County US Gen Web Archives Site
- ancestry.com Hennepin County Resource Page ($ need ancestry.com subscription)
- Hennepin County Genealogy (Minnesota Genealogy)
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hennepin County, Minnesota page 364, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
|This Minnesota-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 2 December 2014, at 23:56.
- This page has been accessed 16,215 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More