Henry County, KentuckyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Henry County Kentucky genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Henry County, Kentucky|
Location in the state of Kentucky
Location of Kentucky in the U.S.
|Founded||December 14, 1798|
|County Seat||New Castle|
Henry County Kentucky Courthouse
Henry County Kentucky History
The county is named after Virginia Governor Patrick Henry (1736-1799).
1904--A disaster destroyed most records.
Henry County Kentucky Places/Localities
|Adamsville (hist.)||Fallis||North Pleasureville||Slabtown|
|Drennon Springs||Lockport||Sixmile (hist.)||Turners Station|
Henry County Kentucky Genealogy Resources
The following have information concerning African American research. Both should be used:
- the KY African American Griots Project ~ The Kentucky African American Griots Project
- Sandi Gorin's Tips ~ Hangings in Kentucky 1792 - 1900
- African American Research (US) has more information about the kinds of records
- Kentucky Minorities has information specific to Kentucky African Americans.
Kentucky cemetery records often identify birth, death, relationship, and military information, as well as religious affiliation.
- Henry Co. KY USGenWeb Tombstone Project usually gives the names of the deceased in alphabetical order by last name with birth and death dates plus any remarks.
- The KY Historical Society’s Cemetery Database
- African American Cemeteries Online ~ Partial index/transcriptions of African American cemeteries
- Cemetery Junction ~ Links to cemetery transcriptions
- Naming the Forgotten ~ Naming the Forgotten - The Eastern State Hospital Project
- Kentucky Cemeteries lists the national cemeteries in Kentucky with links to their web sites. The first link under Online Kentucky Cemeteries goes to the Kentucky section of Interment.net
- Find A Grave can be searched by the name of a person or family to find where a person is buried. Usually gives birth and death dates often with a picture of the tombstone. May give obituaries, names of family members and links to their information in Find A Grave.
- Find A Grave also gives a list of cemeteries in Henry County and links to the information for the individuals buried there,
- TheFamily History Library Catalog lists some records of cemeteries in Henry County. Some of the books or others may be on Google Books or available at public libraries.
- ePodunk list of Henry County cemeteries gives the names of the cemeteries in the county with a link to more information such as address, phone number, and web site.
For tips on accessing Henry County, Kentucky census records online, see: Kentucky Census.
- USGenWeb Census Project ~ Kentucky Census Transcriptions 1850 - 1930
- The USGenWeb Census Images ~ The USGenWeb Census Images Project
- Kentucky Census Transcriptions ~ The USGenWeb Census Project
- Census Online ~ Census Online
- Kentucky Christian Church Directory ~ ChurchAngel
- 1828-1867 - New Castle Presbyterian Church Christening Index 1828-1867. Batch C535231 at FamilySearch - free.
- Abstracts of Early KY Court Cases Abstracts of Early Supreme Court Cases ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky Court of Justice Research & Reference
It is anticipated that this bibliography will eventually identify all known family histories published about residents of this county. Use this list to:
- Locate publications about direct ancestors
- Find the most updated accounts of an ancestor's family
- Identify publications, to quote Elizabeth Shown Mills, about an ancestor's "FAN Club" [Friends, Associates, and Neighbors]
- [Craven] Craven, Patricia. The Craven Clan of Southwestern Pennsylvania and Various Kentucky Counties Nelson, Washington, Marion, Boone, Fayette, Jessamine, Henry. Chicago, Ill.: P. Craven, 1988. FHL Book 929.273 C855cr
- [Stewart] Prewitt, Lela Wolfe. The Dawkins and Stewart Families of Virginia and Kentucky. [Fairfield, Iowa: Prewitt], 1968. FHL Book 929.273 D322p.
- Military Resources ~ Revolutionary War through Civil War
- Korean War Memorial Korean War Memorial for Soliders from KY ~ KYGenWeb
- Fallen Soldiers in WWI from KY ~ Fallen Soldiers in WWI from Kentucky
- Kentucky Postcards ~ The USGenWeb Archives Penny Postcard Project
- The KYGenWeb Footsteps ~ The Kentucky Footsteps Archives ~ KYGenWeb Special Project
- Kentucky News - Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Another Kentucky Newspaper Index with links
- Kentucky Newspapers on Microfilm - Kentucky Newspapers Available On Microfilm
- KY Footsteps Archives ~ KY Footsteps List Archives - thousands of obituaries here ~ KYGenWeb Project
- KY Obituary Sources ~ Kentucky Obituary Sources ~ Compiled by the KYGenWeb Project
- Links to research and locate obituaries
- Browning Genealogy Database ~ The Browning Genealogy Database - A Collection of Obituaries Compiled by Charles Browning.
- USGenWeb Archives Obituary Project ~ Kentucky Obituary Project
- Afrigeneas ~ African American death notices, obituaries and funeral programs compiled by users from current newspapers and historical sources
- Obituary Depot ~ Kentucky Newspaper Citations
- Obituary Daily Times ~ Citations to over 15,000,000 obituaries including interactive search function
- Nashville Advocate ~ Death Abstracts from the Nashville Christian Advocate
- 1800-1910 - Will Books 1 to 16 (1800-1910) have been digitized by FamilySearch - free.
- 1800 - 1800 Tax List of Henry County, Kentucky is included in Clift's Second Census of Kentucky 1800, digitized by Ancestry ($).
- 1852-1859 - Henry County Birth Index 1852-1859. Batch C517491 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1874 - Henry County Birth Index 1874. Batch C517492 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875-1876 - Henry County Birth Index 1875-1876. Batch C517493 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1852-1859 - Henry County Marriage Index 1852-1859. Batch M517491 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1875 - Henry County Marriage Index 1875. Batch M517494 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1876-1877 - Henry County Marriage Index 1876-1877. Batch M517495 at FamilySearch - free.
- The Kentucky Vital Records Project Transcriptions of and Images of KY Death Certificates - A Work in Progress ~ The KY Vital Records Project
- KY Births & Christenings ~ Kentucky Births and Christenings, 1839-1960 Family Search
- KY Deaths & Burials ~ KY Deaths & Burials 1843 - 1970
- KY Marriage Records ~ KY Marriages 1783 - 1979 ~ Family Search
- Searchable KY Vital Records ~ Searchable databases of KY Births, Deaths & Marriages
- Kentucky Marriage Records 1973 - 2000 ~ Kentucky Marriage Records - 1973 - 2000
- KY Divorces 1973 - 1993 ~ Kentucky Divorce Records 1973 - 1993 ~ University of Kentucky Vital Records Databases
- The Social Security Death Index The Social Security Death Index - Searchable
Henry County Kentucky Genealogy Societies and Libraries
- Henry County Historical Society
219 S. Main Street
P.O. Box 570
New Castle, KY 40050
- Henry County Public Library
172 Eminence Terrace
Eminence, KY 40019
Phone: (502) 845-5682
- Links and addresses to Kentucky genealogical and historical societies
Family History Centers
Henry County Kentucky Genealogy Websites
- Henry County KYGenWeb
- Henry County USGenWeb Archives
- KYGenWeb project. Has maps, name indexes, history or other information for each county. Select the county.
- State of Kencucky Website
- USGenWeb Kentucky Archives ~ Kentucky in the USGenWeb Archives ~ Vital statistics, maps, obituaries, Bible records, tombstone transcriptions and many other records.
- The USGenWeb project May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- Henry County, Kentucky Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
Henry County Kentucky Genealogy References
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henry County, Kentucky page 271, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/0/0b/Igikentuckygl.pdf.
- ↑ G. Glenn Clift, Second Census of Kentucky 1800: A Privately Compiled and Published Enumeration of Tax Payers Appearing in the 79 Manuscript Volumes Extant of Tax Lists of the 42 Counties of Kentucky in Existence in 1800 (1954; reprint, Baltimore, Md.: Genealogical Publishing Co., Inc., 2005).
- This page was last modified on 28 March 2013, at 22:35.
- This page has been accessed 2,482 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More