Henry County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Henry County Missouri genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Henry County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||December 13, 1834|
|Address|| Henry County Courthouse|
Main & Franklin Sts;
100 W Franklin
Clinton, MO 64735-2199
Henry County Website
County Recorder has marriage and land records from 1830
and military discharge records; County Clerk has divorce
and court recorders; Associate Circuit Court has probate
records; County Museum has birth and burial records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- White Oak Township
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Henry County, Missouri, Cemetery Records, Vol. 2 (Calhoun Cemetery) at Ancestry.com ($)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
St. Ludgers, Germantown
- 1832-1876 - St. Ludgers, Germantown, Baptism Index 1832-1876. Batch C511791 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1849-1876 - St. Ludgers, Germantown, Marriage Index 1849-1876. Batch M511791 at FamilySearch - free.
Immaculate Conception, Montrose
- 1858-1876 - Immaculate Conception, Montrose, Baptism Index 1858-1876. Batch C511961 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Henry County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Waugh family of Litchfield, Connecticut, Ross County, Ohio, Henry County, Missouri. at Ancestry.com ($)
- Maps of Missouri (1804-1889)
- Family Maps of Henry County, Missouri (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Map of Henry County townships (Histopolis)
The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Henry County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- Civil War and Masonry in Missouri at Ancestry.com ($)
- - 16th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company F
- - 16th Regiment, Missouri Cavalry - Confederate, Company K
- - 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company G
- - 5th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
- - 60th Battalion, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company F
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company H
- - 60th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Henry County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1835-1867 - Henry County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1835-1867. Batch M515141 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1867-1881 - Henry County Marriage Books B and C Index 1867-1881. Batch M515142 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Henry County Marriage Books D and E Index 1881-1885. Batch M515143 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- Clinton Missouri Family History Center 297 NW 40th Rd, Clinton MO 64735
United States Location Map
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Henry County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Henry County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Henry County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Henry County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Henry County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Henry County Message Board
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Henry County, Missouri. Page 400 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 13 October 2014, at 21:01.
- This page has been accessed 6,393 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki