Hertford All Saints with St John, HertfordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hertford All Saints with St John, Hertfordshire family history and genealogy: parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
|Hertford All Saints with St John, Hertfordshire|
|Hundred||Hertford; Hertford Borough|
|Poor Law Union||Hertford PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1604|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Lincoln; Post-1844 - Rochester|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Huntingdon (Hitchin Division)|
|Location of Archive|
|Hertfordshire Record Office|
Hertford, is a town, three parishes, a sub-district, a district, and a hundred, in Hertfordshire. The tree parishes taking designation from Hertford All Saints, St. Andrew, and St. John. The town is on the river Lea, and at a meeting point of railways, it is 1 3/4 of a mile WSW of Ware, 7 miles ENE of Hatfield. All Saints church is ancient, St Andrew's church was erected in the 11th or 12th century, Holy Trinity church was erected in 1864. The Roman Catholic chapel was erected in 1859; there are chapels also for Independents, Baptists, Quakers, Wesleyans, and Primitive Methodists.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Hertford All Saints with St John, Hertfordshire parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Hertford All Saints with St John, Hertfordshire Parish Online Records|
|FMP||1559-1779, 1813-1891||1559-1779, 1813-1891||1560-1911||1560-1911||1559-1891||1559-1891|
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 288831.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Hertfordshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Hertford All Saints on GENUKI
Hertford St John on GENUKI
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England, ] 1831. Adapted. Date accessed: 11 January 2014.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 13 December 2013.
- ↑ 'The Hertfordshire Collection,' FindMyPast, accessed 4 March 2014.
- ↑ 'Marriages and Marriage Licences (1538-1922),' Hertfordshire County Council, accessed 6 March 2014.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Hertford, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 11 December 2013.
- ↑ Hertfordshire Coverage, The Joiner Marriage Index, accessed 12 December 2013.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage', Find My Past, accessed 12 December 2013.
- This page was last modified on 23 May 2014, at 15:47.
- This page has been accessed 914 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki