HertfordshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hertfordshire ancestry, family history and genealogy parish registers, transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records. ) is a county in south east England  and is one of the "Home Counties" surrounding London along with Surrey, Essex, Kent, Berkshire, and Buckinghamshire.  The county town is Hertford.  The county takes its name from Hertford meaning a ford frequented by harts or stags.
The major towns are Hertford, St Albans (built on the site of a Roman settlement, Verulamium), Watford, Hatfield, and Letchworth (Britain's first Garden City).
Use an interactive map to find jurisdictions for each parish in Hertfordshire.
When civil registration of births, marriages and deaths began in 1837, Hertfordshire was divided into a number of registration districts, each containing several parishes. The index to the civil records gives the name of the district where an event took place. Click here to see a list of the civil districts in Hertfordshire and the parishes covered by each.
Read more about England Civil Registration.
See a list of the Hertfordshire parishes with links to articles.
Before 1858, every town and parish in Hertfordshire was under the probate jurisdiction of several ecclesiastical courts. To read more about probate records and see a list of Hertfordshire towns and parishes and the probate courts that had jurisdiction over them, go to Hertfordshire Probate Records.
- Hertfordshire Resources and help pages on RootsChat Hertfordshire Resources and help pages. (Free).
To view a list of web sites and/or web pages for Hertfordshire and many of its parishes, visit FHLFavorites.info.
Hertfordshire Names Online: Courtesy of the Hertfordshire Record Office
Links to articles, subcategories and images under the Category Hertfordshire
Notes and References
- ↑ Burt Vance, A Dictionary of Abbreviations (Oxford University Press, Oxford Reference Online 2011, eISBN 9780199698295) accessed 3 June 2013.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 'Hertfordshire' in Philip's World Encyclopedia (Oxford Reference Online 2004-2012, eISBN 9780199546091) accessed 3 June 2013.
- ↑ 'Home Counties' in Philip's World Encyclopedia (Oxford Reference Online 2004-2012, eISBN 9780199546091) accessed 3 June 2013.
- ↑ "Hertford Herts." in A. D. Mills, A Dictionary of British Place Names (1st rev ed., Oxford University Press, 2011; Print ISBN-13 9780199609086; Oxford Reference Online 2011-2012 eISBN 9780191739446).
|Bedfordshire||Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire|| Cambridgeshire
- This page was last modified on 9 November 2014, at 15:30.
- This page has been accessed 6,703 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page