Heswall, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Heswall, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
HESWALL, a parish, in the union, and Lower division of the hundred, of Wirrall, S. division of the county of Chester; containing the township of Gayton,it is 3½ miles (N. W. by N.) from Great Neston.
Heswall St Peter an ancient parish known as Heswall cum Oldfield formerly in Cheshire and now part of the administrative county of Merseyside since 1974. It includes Gayton, Heswall with Oldfield and Oldfield.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241254. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Heswall St Peter parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|FS BT's = FamilySearch Bishops Transcripts|
|JOIN = The Joiner Marriage Index - (£)|
|Heswall St Peter Parish (1547) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1559-1909
|FS BT'S||1599-1900|| NONE
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Heswall, St. Peter (C of E). The ancient parish for the townships of Gayton and Heswall. Registers of Baptisms 1599–1953, Marriages 1539–1963 and Burials 1558–1946 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office. Microreproduction of originals at the Cheshire Record Office in Chester, England. Cheshire Record Office call no.: P129/1/1-3, P129/2/1-5, P129/3/1-3, P129/4/1-2.
|Parish Register Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1539-1925. Banns, 1754-1812. Marriages, 1539-1923. Burials, 1539-1880.||BRITISH 2106557 Items 10 - 21|
|Burials, 1880-1911.||BRITISH 2106558 Item 1|
Bishop's Transcripts Microfilm copy of original record in the Cheshire Record Office, Chester, England. Some records in Latin. Cheshire Record Office no.: EDB 108.
|Bishop's Transcripts Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, marriages, burials, 1587, 1599, 1601, 1604, 1608, 1622, 1636, 1638, 1666, 1668-1670, 1672, 1674-1677, 1679-1682, 1684-1685, 1690-1693, 1695, 1698-1704, 1706-1739, 1741-1803, 1805-1836. Baptisms, burials, 1837-1868.||BRITISH 1655829 Item 3|
|Baptisms, burials, 1868-1878, 1892-1900. Burials, 1863-1867.||BRITISH 1655830 Item 1|
The registers of baptisms, marriages, and burials in the parish of Heswall, in the county and diocese of Chester, from their commencement to the year 1729 : together with a table of the rectors of Heswall from the year 1300 to the present time, and a terrier of lands, fees, charges, etc., in the year 1733 edited by Thomas Henry May Includes index. The parish registers cover 1559-1729. Also on microfilm. Salt Lake City : Filmed by the Genealogical Society of Utah, 1972. on 1 microfilm reel ; 35 mm. FHL BRITISH Film 924706 Item 2
Online transcripts for the parish are available online at Cheshire Parish Register project
Heswall, Church of the Good Shepherd (C of E), Telegraph Road. Built in 1901 as a chapel to St. Peter. Registers of Baptisms from 1962 are held at St Peter's (no marriages or burials)..
Heswall, Nautical Training School (C of E). A chapel attached to St Peter, built in 1915 and closed in 1956. Registers of Baptisms 1937–1956 have been deposited at the Cheshire Record Office (no baptisms or burials).
Non Conformist Churches
- Heswall, Our Lady and St. John (Roman Catholic), Telegraph Road. Built in 1919.
- Heswall, Friends' Meeting House (Quakers). Founded 1939.
- Heswall, Centenary Methodist Chapel (Wesleyan), Telegraph Road. Built in 1891 (replacing an earlier building in Gayton). Registers of baptisms 1859–1949 are at the Cheshire Record Office. Microfilm of original records at the Cheshire Record Office, Chester. Cheshire Record Office call no.: EMS 134/1. Baptisms, 1859-1949. VAULT BRITISH Film2299421 Item 23
- Heswall, United Reformed Church (Presbyterian), Telegraph Road. ReBuilt in 1909.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Wirral (1837–1974)
- Birkenhead (1974–98)
- Wirral (post 1998)
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2013, at 15:39.
- This page has been accessed 1,161 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More