Hinsdale County, ColoradoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hinsdale County, Colorado ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Hinsdale County, Colorado|
Location in the state of Colorado
Location of Colorado in the U.S.
|Founded||January 9, 1852|
|County Seat||Lake City|
|Address|| Hinsdale County Courthouse|
317 N Henson Street
Lake City, CO 81235-0277
Hinsdale County Website
County Clerk has marriage and land records from 1875
County Court has divorce, probate and court records.
|Beginning dates for major county records|
|*For earlier dates, try... Church | Obituaries | Cemeteries|
- Before 1861 the central part of this modern Colorado county east of the Continental Divide was in New Mexico.
- 9 January 1852 it was created part of Taos County in New Mexico Territory. 
- 28 February 1861 it was transferred to Colorado  (1 Nov 1861 Guadalupe County).
- 7 November 1861 the name was changed from Guadalupe County to Conejos County.
- Look for pre-1861 records in New Mexico. For further explanation see Taos County.
- 1874 Hinsdale County was created 10 February 1874 from Conejos County.
Business Records and Commerce
For tips on accessing Hinsdale County, Colorado census records online, see: Colorado Census.
Church records vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Colorado denominations, view the Colorado Church Records wiki page.
Emigration and Immigration
Ethnic, Political, or Religious Groups
Local histories are available for Hinsdale County, Colorado. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Colorado Local Histories.
Land and Property
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Colorado Land and Property for additional information about early Colorado land grants.
After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where current records are also housed.
Naturalization and Citizenship
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Hinsdale County, Colorado newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records have been kept by the county courts. Colorado probate records include bonds, affidavits, letters, claims, appraisals, fee accounts, minutes, judgments, dockets, calendars, case files, and wills. The Family History Library does not have copies of probate records from Colorado.
You may obtain copies of documents from the clerk's office in the county courthouse.
The Colorado State Archives has the following records available for Hinsdale County, Colorado in this online database Archives Search. For a full list of online holdings, click here.
Civilian Conservation Corps Enrollments 1936 - 1942
Divorce Index 1880 - 1939
Horseshoers 1897 - 1920
Mine Accidents, Non - fatal 1883 - 1900
Vietnam Deaths 1966, 1968
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
Hinsdale Library District/Lake City
221 Silver Street
Lake City, CO 81235
Hinsdale County Historical Society
Post Office Box 353
130 North Silver Street
Lake City, CO 81235
Web Site http://www.lakecitymuseum.com/Welcome.html
Colorado tax records complement land records and can be used as supplements to censuses. There may be gaps of several years in the records. To find tax records in the FamilySearch Catalog, do a Catalog/frameset_fhlc.asp Place Search for the county.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Vital Records Section Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Colorado.
- ↑ 1.0 1.1 Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), 99, Hinsdale County, Colorado. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ 2.0 2.1 2.2 2.3 2.4 The Red Book, American State, County, and Town Sources. Edited by Alice Eichholz. (Ancestry, Provo; 3d ed, 2004.) Colorado article by Birdie Monk Holzclaw and Marsha Hoffman Rising. page 93.
- ↑ William Thorndale and William Dollarhide, Map Guide to the U.S. Federal Censuses, 1790-1920 (Baltimore: Genealogical Publ., 1987), 52. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 X2th.
- ↑ Brief County Histories (New Mexico) in RootsWeb (accessed 21 June 2012).
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopeida at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Colorado_Territory (accessed 19 June 2012).
- ↑ Adrian B. Ettlinger, AniMap 3.0 : with SiteFinder U.S. place name database (Alamo, Calif.: Gold Bug, 2008), Colorado 1861 map. At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL CD-ROM no. 4903.
- ↑ Handybook, 97, Conejos County, Colorado, and 99, Guadalupe County, Colorado.
- ↑ Wikipedia contributors, "Guadalupe County, Colorado Territory" in Wikipedia: the Free Encyclopedia at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Guadalupe_County,_Colorado_Territory (accessed 23 June 2012).
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2014, at 18:41.
- This page has been accessed 5,326 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page