Holmes County, FloridaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Holmes County Florida genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Holmes County, Florida|
Location in the state of Florida
Location of Florida in the U.S.
|Founded||January 8, 1848|
Holmes County's civil records start the following years:
Holmes County Courthouse
201 N Oklahoma Street
Bonifay, FL 32425
Clerk Circuit Court has marriage probate, divorce, court and land records.
1870 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
Places / Localities
- Holmes County Cemeteries ~ transcriptions ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Holmes County Cemetery Photos ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida Tombstone Transcription Project - USGenWeb
- Interment.net - Florida cemetery records by County
- Veterans Administration National Cemeteries - Florida National Cemeteries
- St. John Freewill Baptist Cemetery, Bonifay BillionGraves
For tips on accessing Holmes County, Florida census records online, see: Florida Census.
|Source: "American FactFinder". United States Census Bureau.|
- 1783 Spanish Census - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1821 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1823 Census/Tax List Index - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1880 Census African Born Blacks and Mulattos - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Federal Census Information from National Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- State Census Information from Florida State Archives - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Census of Pensioners Revolutionary Military Service - USGenWeb Archives Project
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Florida denominations, view the Florida Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Florida Land and Property for additional information about early Florida land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse and where records are currently housed.
- Davis Federal Land Records, Holmes County ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida Territorial Land Records
Local histories are available for Holmes County, Florida. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories see the wiki page section Florida Local Histories.
- 1902 Medical Directory for Bonifay ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Family Maps of Holmes County, Florida (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
- 1870 Gray's Atlas Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- 1882 Rand McNally Panhandle Portion of State - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Exploring Florida, FCIT Maps, University of South Florida
- Some Military Land Grants In Holmes Co. FL For Soldiers Of The War Of 1812 ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Some Military Land Grants In Holmes Co. FL For Soldiers Of The Indian Wars ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- WWII Army Enlistees Names ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- WWI Civilian Draft Registrations ~ USGenWeb Archives Project
- Florida State Military Files - USGenWeb Archives Project
- Pension Transcriptions - Florida state pension records from various wars - USGenWeb Pension Project
- Florida Casualties in the Korean Conflict
- Florida Casualties in the Vietnam War
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Holmes County, Florida newspapers in online catalogs like:
Obituary Project ~ contains submitted obituaries from U.S. ~ Hidden Ancestors
Probate records are held by the Holmes County, Florida Clerk of Court and are housed at the Holmes County, Florida Courthouse. Microfilmed records can be found online at Florida Probate Records, 1784-1990. See the wiki page Florida Probate Records for information about how to use probate records.
Content: Probate Records may give the decedent's date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, neighbors, associates, relatives, and their place of residence.
Record types: Wills, estates, guardianships, naturalizations, and adoptions.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Florida Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Florida Department of Health, Bureau of Vital Statistics or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
For some online statewide indexes, see the FamilySearch Historical Record Collections for Florida.
- 1902-1909 - Holmes County Marriage Book 1 Index 1902-1909. Batches M744973 and M744974 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1909-1918 - Holmes County Marriage Book 2 and A Index 1909-1918. Batch M744993 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1918-1927 - Holmes County Marriage Books 3 and 4 Index 1918-1927. Batch M744904 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1921-1922 - Holmes County Marriage Book 1 Index 1921-1922. Batch M744880 at FamilySearch - free.
Societies and Libraries
Holmes County Public Library
303 North J. Harvey Etheridge Street
Bonifay, Florida 32425
- Florida State Historical Societies - Listing by County
- Florida Historical Society
- Florida State Genealogical Society
Family History Centers
- Family History Library Catalog
- Holmes County, Florida Genealogy and Family History (Linkpendium)
- Holmes County, FLGenWeb Project, Inc.
- The FLGenWeb Project
- USGenWeb Archives Project
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Holmes County, Florida Page 135 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/54/Igiflorida.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 2 March 2014, at 23:42.
- This page has been accessed 5,280 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More