Horne, SurreyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Horne St+Mary+the+Virgin Surrey
|Poor Law Union||Godstone PLU|
|Parish registers: 1614|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1666|
|Probate Court||Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
HORNE (St. Mary), a parish, in the union of Godstone, First division of the hundred of Tandridge, E. division of Surrey, 5½ miles (S. S. W.) from Godstone.
Horne is a village and civil parish in the Tandridge district of Surrey Horne Surrey Wikipedia
Horne St Mary the Virgin is an Ecclesiastical parish formed in 1705 from an ancient chapelry in Bletchingley, Surrey Ancient Parish. The Parish is in the Diocese of Southwark. A map of the ecclesiastical parish boundary is available at A church near you Part of the parish boundary forms part of the county boundary with neighbours Worth, Sussex and East Grinstead, Sussex and Surrey neighbour Burstow, Surrey which includes Smallfield.
A history of the church is found A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 291-296. at British History Online
Horne St Mary the Virgin dates from the thirteenth century and has been designated as a grade II* listed building by English Heritage.British listed building
The civil parish boundary also includes Newchapel see Newchapel Surrey Wikipedia whose most notable feature is the London Temple of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints which stands at the side of the A22 London-Eastbourne Road at the Newchapel roundabout.
This building is not open to the general public but does include a Visitor Centre which explains the beliefs of the church and displays the history of the temple building which was constructed in the 1950's and dedicated in 1958.
Also within the civil parish is the British Wildlife Centre British Wildlife Centre website
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
'The registers previous to 1812 are in six volumes: (1) baptisms 1614 to 1694, burials 1614 to 1710, marriages 1643 to 1710. The burials from 1678 have been transcribed from another volume. (2) burials 1678 to 1742; (3) baptisms and burials 1711 to 1787, marriages 1711 to 1753; (4) marriages 1754 to 1781; (5) baptisms and burials 1783 to 1812; (6) marriages 1783 to 1812.'
Deposited parish registers at the Surrey History Centre Baptisms 1614-2001 Marriages 1642-2000 Burials 1614-1888
Transcripts are available of the parish registers for baptisms and burials for 1614-1840 and the
Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking GU21 6ND offers microfilm for years of the LDS filming (see below) and will produce originals for later registers.
Link to the Family History Library films in their collection Horne which has two filmings in 1950 and 1982 the latter contains General register (baptisms, marriages, burials), 1614-1711; burials, 1678-1742; general register (baptisms, 1709-1787; marriages, 1709-1753; banns, 1754-1805; burials, 1709-1787); marriages, 1754-1805; baptisms and burials, 1783-1813; marriages, 1783-1812; baptisms, 1813-1854; marriages, 1813-1837; burials, 1813-1888.
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474664.
FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal: Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Poor Law Unions
A parish workhouse existed in the parish in the 1790's; an index for the parish records has been prepared by volunteers at the Surrey History Centre, 130 Goldsworth Road, Woking, Surrey GU21 6ND ref(BG5/55/1-14)
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
- 1664 Hearth Tax at Hearth Tax Online - free.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England(1848). Adapted. Date accessed: 26 February 2014.
- ↑ Batch P020341, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ Batch M020342, see: Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Surrey, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 2 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Parish Records - National Burial Index Records 1538 - 2005 Coverage,' Find My Past, accessed 11 April 2012. For a breakdown of missing years, see 'National Burial Index - Coverage: Surrey,' Federation of Family History Societies, accessed 11 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 14 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Vital Records Index - British Isles - Collection List,' British Isles Vital Records Index, 2nd ed., hosted at Genoot, accessed 15 April 2012.
- ↑ 'Boyd's Marriage Index - Parish details by county,' Origins.net (WayBack Machine), accessed 27 March 2012.
- ↑ H E Malden, A History of the County of Surrey: Volume 4 (1912), pp. 291-296. at British History Online
- ↑ 'About Surrey and South London Will Abstracts 1470-1858,' Origins.net, accessed 27 June 2012.
- This page was last modified on 8 August 2014, at 19:22.
- This page has been accessed 4,655 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki