Horsleydown St John, Surrey GenealogyEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|Horsleydown St John, Surrey|
|Poor Law Union||St Olave PLU|
|Registration District||St Olave Southwark|
|Parish registers: 1733|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1800|
|Diocese||Pre-1846 - Winchester; Post-1845 - London|
|Probate Court||Pre-1846 - Court of the Archdeaconry of Surrey; Post-1845 - Court of the Bishop of London (Episcopal Consistory)|
|Location of Archive|
|Surrey Record Office|
HORSLEYDOWN, a parish and a sub-district in Southwark-St. Olave district. It bears the name of H. ST. John; and it includes a chapelry called St. Mark.
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Non Conformist Churches
Census records from 1841 to 1911 are available online. For access, see England Census Records and Indexes Online. Census records from 1841 to 1891 are also available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 474669.
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Surrey Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Contributor: add any relevant sites that aren’t mentioned above.
- ↑ John Marius Wilson Imperial Gazetteer of England and Wales 1870-72. Adapted. Date accessed: 26 February 2014.
- ↑ London, England, Baptisms, Marriages, and Burials, 1538-1812, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as St John Horselydown, Bermondsey in Southwark Borough. Marriages from 1754 to 1812 are not included in this database. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Births and Baptisms, 1813-1906, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Horselydown St John in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Marriages and Banns, 1754-1921, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Horselydown St John in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ London, England, Deaths and Burials, 1813-1980, courtesy: Ancestry (£). Described as Horselydown St John in Southwark Borough. Partially indexed.
- ↑ Pallot's Marriage and Birth Indexes, Guide to Parishes (n.p.: n.p., n.d.). FHL British Book 942 V25pm
- ↑ 'Greater London Burials: South London Burials: Parishes, Period and Counts,' British Origins (£), accessed 4 April 2013.
- This page was last modified on 28 May 2015, at 13:48.
- This page has been accessed 3,351 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More