Houston County, MinnesotaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Houston County Minnesota genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Houston County, Minnesota|
Location in the state of Minnesota
Location of Minnesota in the U.S.
|Founded||April 4, 1854|
|Address|| Houston County Courthouse|
304 S Marshall St
Caledonia, MN 55921
Houston County Website
Clerk District Court has birth and death records from 1870,
marriage records from 1854,
court records from 1856 and divorce records.
Probate Judge has probate records.
Register of Deeds has land records. 
- 1854--Houston County was created 4 April 1854 from Fillmore County. County seat: Caledonia 
- For a brief history of how Houston County was named, click here, then select Houston County.
Brownsville | Caledonia | Eitzen | Hokah | Houston | La Crescent | Spring Grove
Black Hammer Township | Brownsville Township | Caledonia Township | Crooked Creek Township | Hokah Township | Houston Township | Jefferson Township | La Crescent Township | Mayville Township | Money Creek Township | Mound Prairie Township | Sheldon Township | Spring Grove Township | Union Township | Wilmington Township | Winnebago Township | Yucatan Township
- Allamakee County, Iowa
- La Crosse County, Wisconsin
- Vernon County, Wisconsin
- Winneshiek County, Iowa
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Minnesota Church Records.
Immanuel Lutheran Church, Caledonia
- Records of the Immanuel Lutheran Church, Caledonia, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Spring Grove
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Spring Grove, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
The county register of deeds keeps land records once the land was transferred to private ownership. Abstracts and indexes for these records are generally available at the county courthouse.
Land records for Minnesota are listed in the Place Search of the FamilySearch Catalog under:
MINNESOTA, Houston – LAND AND PROPERTY
Local histories are available for Houston County, Minnesota. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Minnesota Local Histories.
- Family Maps of Houston County, Minnesota (land patent maps) at HistoryGeo.com ($). Free surname search.
Civil War service men from Houston County served in various regiments. Men often joined a company (within a regiment) that originated in their county. Listed below are many companies or regiments that were formed from men of Houston County.
- - 1st Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry (Mounted Rangers), Companies A and G.
- - 2nd Regiment, Minnesota Cavalry, Companies A and D.
- - 6th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
- - 10th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company F.
- - 11th Regiment, Minnesota Infantry, Company K.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Houston County, Minnesota newspapers in online catalogs like:
Probate records may include, wills, bonds, petitions, accounts, inventories, administrations, orders, decrees, and distributions. They may include the decedent’s date of death, names of his or her spouse, children, parents, siblings, in-laws, etc. See Minnesota Probate Records for additional information.
Minnesota tax records complement land records and can be used in place of censuses before 1820 or to supplement the years between censuses. Because only persons who owned taxable property were listed, many residents were not included in tax lists. There may also be gaps of several years in the tax records of some counties. For more information, see the wiki page Minnesota Taxation.
A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Minnesota State Registrar of Vital Records, the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred], order electronically online or download an application for Minnesota Birth Certificate and Death Certificates Applications to mail.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Houston County, Minnesota page 364, At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 "Evangelical Lutheran Church in America: An Inventory of Selected Congregational Records of the American Lutheran Church in Minnesota at the Minnesota Historical Society," Collection Finding Aids, Minnesota Historical Society, http://www.mnhs.org/library/findaids/01009.xml, accessed 10 June 2013.
|This Minnesota-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 19 July 2014, at 04:53.
- This page has been accessed 7,934 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki