How to Find Colorado Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Colorado statewide registration of births began in 1907, with general compliance by 1920.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1876
Before 1876, no births were recorded by the county or state. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births from 1876 thru 1906
In 1876, some Colorado counties began recording births. Delayed birth records also exist for this period. Currently, a complete list of births during this period is not available online. Also, try searching for birth information in other records.
Obtain the Record
Contact the appropriate county court clerk to locate these records. A list of Colorado counties is available online.
Delayed birth records are available for a fee at the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment.
There are no restrictions on these records.
Births after 1906
Statewide registration of births began in 1907 in Colorado. Currently, there are no complete online indexes to Colorado births from 1907 to the present.
Obtain the Certificate
With full names, dates and places of an event, you can order a copy of the birth certificate for a fee from the Colorado Department of Public Health and Environment or VitalChek.
Restrictions for ordering Colorado birth certificates:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The parent, step-parent, grandparent, or great-grandparent of the person on the certificate
- The spouse or ex-spouse of the person on the certificate
- The child, grandchild, or great-grandchild of the person on the certificate
- The sibling or half-sibling of the person on the certificate
- The in-law, aunt, uncle, nephew, niece, or cousin of the person on the certificate (for birth certificates of deceased individuals)
- A genealogist who has a notarized signed release from immediate family members of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
- This page was last modified on 2 May 2014, at 15:53.
- This page has been accessed 1,379 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page