How to Find Louisiana Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Statewide registration of births began in 1911 in Louisiana.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1911
Before 1911, no births were recorded by the state. Some individual parishes recorded births before 1911, notably Orleans Parish, which began in 1790. Check individual parish pages for specifics. You often must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births after 1911
Statewide registration of births began in 1911. Currently, there are no indexes to Louisiana birth records from 1911 to the present available online.
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for ordering Louisiana birth certificates:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The parent or grandparent of the person on the certificate
- The spouse of the person on the certificate
- The adult child or adult grandchild of the person on the certificate
- The sibling of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
- This page was last modified on 30 July 2013, at 20:02.
- This page has been accessed 1,079 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki