How to Find Mississippi Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Statewide registration of births began in 1912 in Mississippi with general compliance by 1921.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1912
Before 1912, no births were recorded by the state. Some counties recorded births as early as 1879; contact the specific county for information. Delayed birth records are available at the Mississippi Department of Archives and History. You must search substitute records for most individuals to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
Births after 1912
Statewide registration of births began in 1912 in Mississippi. Currently, there are no online indexes to Mississippi births from 1912 to the present.
Obtain the Certificate
If you do not know the exact date or place of birth:
The Mississippi State Department of Health will do a 5 year search.
Restrictions for ordering Mississippi birth certificates:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The parent or grandparent of the person on the certificate
- The spouse of the person on the certificate
- The child of the person on the certificate
- The sibling of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 17:17.
- This page has been accessed 1,544 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki