How to Find Oregon Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Oregon statewide registration of births began in 1903.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1903
As early as 1871, some Oregon counties and cities recorded births. Delayed birth records also exist. In most cases, you must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
For births that exist during the time period, try the following database:
|Oregon Birth Databases - Includes Index Only|
|Oregon Births, 1868-1929||FamilySearch - Free; index only; incomplete|
|Oregon Delayed Births, 1868-1929||Oregon State Archives - Free; index only; incomplete; includes delayed births|
|Can't find your ancestor in the index?||Tips for searching indexes|
|No birth record for your ancestor?||Other records with birth information|
Obtain the Record
Most early county birth records are filed at the Oregon State Archives.
Delayed birth records are held at Oregon Public Health. Some county records are available on microfilm through the Family History Library Oregon statewide delayed filings of births, 1842-1902.
Births after 1903
Oregon statewide registration of births began in July 1903. Currently, there are no complete online indexes to Oregon births from 1903 to the present.
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for persons born within the last 100 years:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate for those born within the last 100 years, you must be:
- The person on the certificate
- The immediate family member of the person on the certificate
- The registered domestic partner on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above until 100 years have passed from the date of the birth.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
- This page was last modified on 3 July 2014, at 20:13.
- This page has been accessed 1,827 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page