How to Find South Carolina Birth RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Statewide registration of births began in 1915 in South Carolina.
Next Step: When did the birth occur?
Births before 1915
Before 1915, no births were recorded by the county or state, the exception being the City of Charleston, which recorded births from 1877-1901. You must search substitute records to locate your ancestor’s birth date and place.
|Records that give birth information:|
|Use Ancestry to find South Carolina Delayed Births, 1766-1900 and City of Charleston, South Carolina Births, 1877-1901 $.|
Births after 1915
In 1915, statewide registration of births began in South Carolina. Currently, no complete index of births from 1915 to the present is available online.
For births that exist during the time period, try the following database:
|Includes Index Only|
|South Carolina Births and Christenings, 1681-1935||FamilySearch - Free; incomplete; index only|
|Can't find your ancestor in the online index?||Tips for searching online indexes|
|No birth record for your ancestor?||Other records with birth information|
Obtain the Certificate
Restrictions for ordering South Carolina birth certificates:
To obtain a copy of the birth certificate, you must be:
- The person on the certificate (if you are at least 18 years old)
- The parent of the person on the certificate
- The legal guardian of the person on the certificate
- If the person is deceased:
- Immediate family members who supply an original certified copy of the person's death record
- Anyone who has legal interest in the certificate
- NOTE: A copy of the birth certificate cannot be obtained by anyone except those listed above.
If you do not want to order the birth record, there are other records with birth information you can search.
Related Wiki Articles
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:32.
- This page has been accessed 2,502 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More