Howard County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Howard County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Howard County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||January 15, 1851|
There have been two Howard counties in Iowa.
1816-- The first Howard County was established . It became part of the Missouri Territory.
1851--Howard County was created 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Floyd County prior to organization 15 September 1855. County seat: Cresco 
December 1, 1876 -- Courthouse burned and many records were damaged.
For further information on researching in burned counties, see the following:
- Burned Counties Research in FamilySearch Wiki
- Michael John Neill, Burned Counties in Family History Circle
- Calvary Cemetery, Riceville BillionGraves
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
|This Iowa-related article is a stub. You can help by expanding it.
While this page is under construction, may we suggest Cyndi's List.
- This page was last modified on 17 April 2013, at 16:57.
- This page has been accessed 1,038 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More