Howard County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Howard County, Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Howard County, Missouri|
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|Founded||January 13, 1816|
|Address|| Howard County Courthouse|
#1 Courthouse Square
Fayette, MO 65248
Howard County Website
Clerk Circuit Court has birth recordsc 1870-1955,
marriage and court records from 1870, land and burial
records from 1820, military and divorce records from 1900;
Probate Court has probate records from 1835; County
Health Nurse has death records from 1870
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all Missouri Counties.
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Immaculate Conception, Richmond
- 1870-1876 - Immaculate Conception, Richmond, Baptism Index 1870-1876. Batch C511971 at FamilySearch - free.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Howard County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
- Van Ravenswaay, Charles. The Boon's Lick country : a guide for the William Clark Society second annual field trip, June 15 and 16, 1940. [St. Louis, Mo.? : s.n.], 1940.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- Smith, Thomas Berry. History of Chariton and Howard counties, Missouri. Topeka [Kansas] : Historical Pub., 1923.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- National Historical Company. History of Howard and Cooper counties, Missouri : written and compiled from the most authentic official and private sources, including a history of its townships, towns, and villages : together with a condensed history of Missouri, a reliable and detailed history of Howard and Cooper counties-- its pioneer record, resources, biographical sketches of prominent citizens, general and local statistics of great value, incidents and reminiscences. St. Louis : National Historical Co., 1883.
- Online at FamilySearch (Free)
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Howard County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- - 46th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company A
- - 46th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company B
- - 46th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company E
- - 46th Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company K
- - 9th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company A
- - 9th Regiment, Missouri State Militia Cavalry (Union), Company H
- - 1st Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
Civil War Battle
The following Civil War Battle was fought in Howard County
Map showing Civil War battles in Missouri
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Howard County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
- Newspaperarchive.com ($) has historical newspapers available on-line. Their database has Moberly newspapers from the early 1900's that covered local news on residents from Howard County communities.
- Missouri Intelligencer, 1819-1835 (Franklin, Howard County, Missouri) Searchable online at the State Historical Society of Missouri’s Digital Collections, Index to Selected Missouri Newspapers.
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1883-1893 - Howard County Birth Index 1883-1893. Batch C001967 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1878 - Howard County Birth Index, Volume 4A, 1865-1878. Batch C515182 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1816-1861 - Howard County Marriage Index 1816-1860. Batches M515184 and M515181 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1865-1885 - Howard County Marriage Book 4A Index 1865-1885. Batch M515182 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Howard County Marriage Book 1 Index 1881-1885. Batch M515183 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
- 1883-1888 - Howard County Death Index 1883-1888. Batch B515185 at FamilySearch - free.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
|Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.|
Howard County Missouri Genealogical Society Facebook link.
| Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
|Missouri Digital Heritage||Free||digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State|
|MOGenWeb||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions|
|USGenWeb Archives||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|RootsWeb resources||Free||Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions|
|Linkpendium||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|CyndisList||Free||Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($)|
|StateofUS||Free||family history resources and government records|
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
|FamilySearch catalog||Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box.|
|WorldCat||To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog.|
|Allen County Public Library||located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing.|
|Missouri State Archives Library||catalog; from this page you must search "Howard County"|
|Google+||Missouri Genealogy Network Community|
|list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search|
|genealogy.com||Howard County, MO Genealogy Forum|
|ancestry.com||Howard County Message Board|
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Howard County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 3.3 3.4 3.5 3.6 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- ↑ Heritage Preservation Services, Civil War Battle Summaries by State, (accessed 15 August 2012)
- This page was last modified on 3 December 2014, at 19:12.
- This page has been accessed 8,169 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page