Howell County, MissouriEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Howell County Missouri ancestry, family history, and genealogy research page. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Howell County, Missouri|
Location in the state of Missouri
Location of Missouri in the U.S.
|County Seat||West Plains|
|Address|| Howell County Courthouse|
County Courthouse Square
West Plains, MO 65775
Howell County Website
County Clerk has birth records 1883-1895 and death records 1883-1893;
Circuit Clerk and Recorder Deeds has marriage, divorce, court and land
land records; Associate Circuit Court has probate records
For animated maps illustrating Missouri county boundary changes, "Rotating Formation Missouri County Boundary Maps" (1804-1889) may be viewed for free at the MapofUS.org website.
For a list of record loss in Missouri counties see: Missouri Counties with Burned Courthouses
Town/city records in the FamilySearch Catalog
- The State Historical Society of Missouri has information on historical Missouri place names for all 114 Missouri Counties.
- Howell County, Missouri Census, 1880 at Ancestry.com ($)
Church records and the information they provide vary significantly depending on the denomination and the record keeper. They may contain information about members of the congregation, such as age, date of baptism, christening, or birth; marriage information and maiden names; and death date. For general information about Missouri denominations, view the Missouri Church Records wiki page.
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Missouri Land and Property for information about records of land transfers from the government to private ownership. After that transfer, transactions were usually recorded and are currently housed at the county courthouse.
Local histories are available for Howell County, Missouri. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the Wiki page section Missouri Local Histories.
A history of southern Missouri and northern Arkansas being an account of the early settlements, the Civil War, the Ku-Klux, and times of peace (1907) by William Monks a resident of Howell County is available free online from Google Books.
- The University of Missouri Digital Library has digital copies of Missouri county plat books (ca. 1930) for all Missouri counties including Howell County. The city of St. Louis is not included in this collection.
- - 4th Regiment, Missouri Infantry - Confederate, Company B
- - 4th Regiment, Missouri Infantry - Confederate, Company C
- - 8th Provisional Regiment, Enrolled Missouri Militia (Union), Company C
Community and Conflict: the Impact of the Civil War in the Ozarks, Howell County.
Additional newspapers abstracts can sometimes be found using search phrases such as Howell County, Missouri newspapers in online catalogs like:
In Missouri, probate records have usually been recorded by the clerks of the probate courts, but in some counties the common pleas or circuit courts handled this function. They are frequently indexed.
Taxes were levied on free white males over 21 and slaves aged 21 to 60. These persons are referred to as "polls." Tax listings, or digests, of a county generally list the taxable landowners and other polls and the amount of tax. The records for each county are divided by militia district. For more information see the wiki page Missouri Taxation.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths. For additional guidance on researching and using vital records, see United States Vital Records or How to order Missouri Vital Records.
St. Louis and Kansas City recorded births and deaths starting as early as 1850 for deaths and 1870 for births. The Missouri Department of Health began keeping birth and death records in 1909. County records vary by year and the county. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Missouri Vital Records State Department of Health, the County Clerk's office or order electronically online.
- 1867-1881 - Howell County Marriage Books A thru C Index 1867-1881. Batch M515191 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1881-1885 - Howell County Marriage Book 1 Index 1881-1885. Batch M515192 at FamilySearch - free.
- 1885 - Howell County Marriage Book 2 Index 1885. Batch M515193 at FamilySearch - free.
- Missouri State Archives provides on-line access to Missouri Death Certificates more than 50 yrs old starting in 1910.
Genealogy Societies, Archives and Libraries
Family History Centers
Centers provide: • Personal one-on-one assistance • Access to genealogical records through the Internet or microfilm loan program • Free how-to classes (varies by location). See Family History Centers for more information.
- West Plains Missouri Family History Center 2800 Christie Dr, West Plains, MO 65775 United States Location Map
Check back often with these websites. Internet offerings are growing at record rates.
Local societies and libraries may know of other websites.
Sites with online indexes or images of records Missouri Digital Heritage Free digital images of many types of records from institutions across the State MOGenWeb Free Data may be submitted by individuals or complete transcriptions USGenWeb Archives Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Sites that search for links pertaining to Howell County, Missouri RootsWeb resources Free Data may be submitted by individuals or may be complete transcriptions Linkpendium Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) CyndisList Free Click links. Some sites they link to may have fees ($) StateofUS Free family history resources and government records Major catalogs for hard copy collections of Howell County, Missouri
Books, microfilm, or manuscripts of genealogical records
FamilySearch catalog Select topics. To select towns, add a comma to the search box. WorldCat To find nearby libraries that have specific items, see WorldCat Online Catalog. Allen County Public Library located in Indiana They are heavily involved in digitizing. Missouri State Archives Library catalog; from this page you must search "Howell County" See also local libraries and Missouri Archives and Libraries Social networking sites pertaining to Howell County, Missouri Google+ Missouri Genealogy Network Community list of groups from "Missouri Genealogy" search genealogy.com Howell County, MO Genealogy Forum ancestry.com Howell County Message Board
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Howell County, Missouri. Page 401 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- ↑ 3.0 3.1 3.2 Genealogical Society of Utah, Parish and Vital Records List (July 1998). Microfiche. Digital version at https://www.familysearch.org/learn/wiki/en/images/5/5a/Igimissouria.pdf.
- This page was last modified on 10 November 2014, at 22:02.
- This page has been accessed 7,556 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page