Hughes County, OklahomaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Hughes County, Oklahoma genealogy and family history research page. Guide to genealogy, history, and courthouse sources including birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, wills, deeds and land records, Civil War records, family histories, cemeteries, churches, tax records, newspapers, and obituaries.
|Hughes County, Oklahoma|
| Map of Oklahoma highlighting Hughes County|
Location in the state of Oklahoma
| Map of the U.S. highlighting Oklahoma|
Location of Oklahoma in the U.S.
|Founded||July 16, 1907|
|Address|| Hughes County Courthouse|
200 N. Broadway Street
Holdenville, Oklahoma 74848
Hughes County Courthouse
200 N Broadway Street
Holdenville, OK 74848
Clerk Court has marriage, divorce, probate and court
records from 1907; County Clerk has land records from 1907
1907--Hughes County was created 16 July 1907 from Creek Lands (Creek and Choctaw Lands).
County seat: Holdenville 
www.okgenweb.org/okprojects/hughes/hughes-gnis.htm Twenty-three cemeteries were found using GNIS, others identified by Oklahoma's GenWeb volunteers. Links are provided for both GNIS maps that show the general location with respect to nearby towns and DoT maps that show the township in great detail.
9,715 memorials with section and row for each.
- www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okgs/records.htm 1890 territorial censuses for Payne, Kingfisher, Beaver, Counties and Choctaw Nation
- www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okgs/records.htm A Partial 1900 Directory of Garfield County, Oklahoma and (The First) City Directory Of Oklahoma City, Indian Territory August 22, 1889
- www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okgs/records.htm Battle of Round Mountains, November 19, 1861 and No Man's Land
- www.okgenweb.org/okprojects/atlas-key.html For some time, this now-famous project was the only on-line source of information about many communities that existed briefly during territorial days.
- www.okgenweb.org/okprojects/town-index.html This index is based on OKTOWNS.ZIP, which was created by Mike Taylor in PKZIPW format. The original file is sorted by County, then Town, so you should download it if you want to find the towns in a specific county. As Mike described his project, this database was "mostly created by scanning the book 'Town and Place Locations', published by the Oklahoma Department of Transportation.
There are 14,225 marriage records in the database. Hughes County, Oklahoma Marriage Index 1907-1968.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has historical newspapers online including Ada newspapers that may have included Hughes County residents. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
- files.usgwarchives.net/ok/hughes/newspapers/hughnews.txt Hughes County (Oklahoma) - Newspaper Titles, Dates, and Towns
- www.okcemeteries.net/hughes/miscobit/miscobit.htm Misc Hughes County Obits
Hughes County, Oklahoma Marriage Index 1907-1968
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- Introduction to LDS Family History Centers
- www.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~okgs/records.htm This site is a great resource for information on resources for Hughes County
- USGenWeb project. May have maps, name indexes, history or other information for this county. Select the state, then the county.
- Family History Library Catalog
- ↑ Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America, 10th ed. (Draper, Utah: Everton Pub., 2002), Hughes County, Oklahoma. Page 559 At various libraries (WorldCat); FHL Book 973 D27e 2002.
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 19 March 2013, at 14:52.
- This page has been accessed 1,338 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More