Humboldt County, IowaEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Humboldt County Iowa genealogy. Birth records, marriage records, death records, census records, family history, and military records.
|Humboldt County, Iowa|
Location in the state of Iowa
Location of Iowa in the U.S.
|Founded||August 31, 1857|
|County Seat||Dakota City|
1851--Old Humboldt County was established 15 January 1851 from unorganized territory. It was attached to Boone County and abolished 24 January 1855 and absorbed by Kossuth and Webster Counties.
1857-- Present-day Humboldt County was established 31 August 1857 from Kossuth and Webster Counties.
County seat: Dakota City 
Most church records are held by individual churches. For contact information, check a phone directory, such as SearchBug or Dex Knows. Some denominations are gathering their records into a central repository. For more information about these major repositories, see Iowa Church Records.
First Lutheran Church
- 1893-1929 - Membership Record Book #1 of the First Lutheran Church, Humboldt County, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Gilmore City, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
- Records of the American Lutheran Church, Renwick, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Trinity Lutheran Church, Rutland
- Records of the Trinity Lutheran Church, Rutland, in Evangelical Lutheran Church in America database at Archives.com ($).
Land and property records can place an ancestor in a particular location, provide economic information, and reveal family relationships. Land records include: deeds, abstracts and indexes, mortgages, leases, grants and land patents.
See Iowa Land and Property for additional information about early Iowa land grants. After land was transferred to private ownership, subsequent transactions were usually recorded at the county courthouse, where records are currently housed.
Local histories are available for Humboldt County, Iowa. County histories may include biographies, church, school and government history, and military information. For more information about local histories, see the wiki page section Iowa Local Histories.
- The History of Humboldt County with a history of Iowa. Historical Pub. Co., 1901. FHL Collection
NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a large collection of digitized Iowa newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries.
In most counties in Iowa, probate records have been kept by the county judge. They include wills, fee books, claim registers, legacy records, inheritance records, probate ticklers, and dockets. The records are available at the county courthouse.
The Family History Library Catalog lists films of probate records. To find the records for this county, use the Place Search for Iowa - Humboldt - Probate records.
Vital Records consist of births, adoptions, marriages, divorces, and deaths recorded on registers, certificates, and documents. A copy or an extract of most original records can be purchased from the Iowa Department of Public Health or the County Clerk's office of the county where the event occurred.
Societies and Libraries
Family History Centers
- ↑ The Handybook for Genealogists: United States of America,10th ed. (Draper, UT:Everton Publishers, 2002).
- This page was last modified on 14 June 2013, at 21:05.
- This page has been accessed 1,396 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More