Hyde St George, CheshireEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Hyde St George, Cheshire family history and genealogy: parish registers (baptism, christening, marriage, and burial records), civil registration (birth, marriage, and death records), census records, history, wills, cemetery, online transcriptions and indexes, an interactive map and websites.
Hyde, St George was founded in 1832 as a chapel to Stockport: St. Mary the Virgin, becoming the district church for the township of Hyde in 1843. The boundaries of "The Chapelry District of Saint George, Hyde" were described in the London Gazette on 10 January 1843:
"The chapelry district of Saint George, Hyde, is to consist of the township of Hyde, being bounded on or towards the north and east by the parish of Mottram in Longdendale; on the south by the township of Werneth, in the parish of Stockport; and on the west by the river Mersey, which divides it from the parish of Manchester" 
Hyde Saint George in Cheshire was created a parish in 1843 from Stockport Saint mary Ancient Parish.
Prior to 1831, the Church of England had no place of worship in the township, and many of the inhabitants of Hyde attended either Stockport St Mary, Mottram, or at Denton Old Church. But the rapid increase of the population of Hyde (owing to the spread of the cotton industry), and the long hours that the people had to work, meant that a town church was needed.
Census records from 1841-1891 are available on film through a Family History Center or at the Family History Library. The first film number is 241243. To view these census images online, they are available through the following websites for a fee ($) or free:
- FamilySearch has some of the British Censuses available.
- FindMyPast ($) has all available census records including images, and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and some public and academic libraries.
- Ancestry.co.uk ($) has now all available census records but free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and at numerous public and academic libraries. The library versions are known as AncestryInstitution.com.
- The Genealogist.co.uk ($) has all available censuses and is free at Family History Centers and the Family History Library and various other libraries.
- FreeCen is a UK census searches. It is not complete and individuals are always asked to consider helping out with transcriptions.
Hyde St George parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials have been indexed by the following groups:
|BIVRI = British Isles Vital Records Index (Ancestry) - (£)|
|FS PR's =FamilySearch Parish Registers|
|Hyde St George Parish (1832) Online Records|
|FS PR's|| 1832-1909
To find the names of the neighbouring parishes, use England Jurisdictions 1851. In this site, search for the name of the parish, click on the location "pin", click Options and click List contiguous parishes.
Parish registers for St. George's Church, Hyde, 1832-1972 St. George is a chapelry in Hyde township, Stockport parish.
Cheshire Record Office reference: P 60/1/1-5, P 60/3605/2, P 60/2/1-4, P 60/3605/2/1-4, P 60/3/1-8, P 60/3605/3/1-2.
An index for Cheshire parish registers is available online in Record Search. Here is a list of church records on microfilm at the Family History Library (FHL) in Salt Lake City.
|Parish Register Content||FHL Film|
|Baptisms, 1832-1851.||BRITISH 2069048 Items 8 - 9|
|Baptisms, September 1851-1892, 1909-1922. Marriages, 1839-November 1859.||BRITISH 2069086|
|Marriages, November 1859-1910.||BRITISH 2069087|
|Marriages, March 1910-1940. Burials, 1832-June 1846.||BRITISH 2069088|
|Burials, June 1846-April 1887.||BRITISH 2069089|
|Burials, January 1888-January 1910.||BRITISH 2069090|
|Burials, November 1909-1972.||BRITISH 2069091 Items 1 - 2|
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from 1 July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. Here are two excellent Internet sites with birth, marriage and death indexes available:
- Stockport (1837–1937)
- Hyde (1937–74)
- Tameside ( post1974)
Poor Law Unions
- Stockport (Hyde)
- For more information on the history of the workhouse, see Peter Higginbotham's web site: http://www.workhouses.org.uk/
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Cheshire Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
Middleton, Thomas, of Hyde
Subject: Hyde (Greater Manchester, England) -- Biography; Hyde (Greater Manchester, England)) -- History
Publisher: Manchester, [Eng.] : Cartwright and Rattray
Possible copyright status: NOT_IN_COPYRIGHT
Call number: SRLF:LAGE-2319608
Digitizing sponsor: MSN
Book contributor: University of California Libraries
Collection: americana; cdl
online version available
- ↑ Genuki Uk. Date Accessed: 8 March 2013
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 14 October 2013.
- This page was last modified on 15 November 2013, at 15:44.
- This page has been accessed 1,378 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More