IdahoEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
United States Idaho
| ID News and Events|
Events of interest to family historians is available on the Events Page.
Welcome to Idaho, The Gem State
Click on the county name to go to a county page.
Extinct or Renamed Counties:
Origin of Idaho
Idaho began as part of Oregon Territory. The counties in the panhandle became part of the Washington Territory in 1853. It became a separate territory in 1863, then encompassing most of what became Idaho, Montana, and Wyoming. Idaho was the 43rd state admitted to the Union, which occurred 3 July 1890.
Did you know
- The Idaho State Archives (formerly the Idaho State History Society Public Archives and Research Library or PARL) is located at 2205 Old Penitentiary Road in Boise. They have a large collection of newspapers, photographs, and manuscripts relating to Idaho. The Research Center for the Archives is open Tuesday thru Saturday from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m. Their web site gives more information about their holdings.
- You can find your villainous Idaho ancestors at Idaho Blacksheep Ancestors.
- Gretna Greens. When an Idaho couple's marriage is not in their home county, search for it in alternate places like Coeur d'Alene, Kootenai, Idaho, or West Wendover, Elko, Nevada.
- Join the Facebook or Skype
- Read a comprehensive research guide: BYU Research Outline for Idaho
- Find in which county a town is, or locate a physical feature, by using the US Geographical Survey's Geographical Names Information System.
- Look up Idaho county creation dates and parent counties.
- See the Digital Atlas of Idaho for current maps and other interesting information about each of the counties of Idaho.
- Ask how to find Idaho ancestors at the Western United States Research forum.
- View historic Idaho maps in the David Rumsey Map Collection.
- View digital materials such as photographs, newspaper clippings, government documents and sketches at the Idaho Digital Resources website.
- Looking 4 Kin Genealogy & Family History Network - Idaho
- Find other Idaho genealogy websites at Cyndi's List - Idaho
A wiki article describing an online collection is found at:
- Idaho Births and Christenings (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho, Cassia County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho, Clark County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho County Birth and Death Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho County Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho Deaths and Burials (FamilySearch Histaorical Records)
- Idaho Death Certificates (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho Marriages (FamilySearch Historical Records)
- Idaho, Teton County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)
Obtain additional help
- Call or chat with an experienced researcher
- Join a Facebook Group
- Consult a Professional Genealogist
Help with the Idaho Wiki pages
In order to make this wiki a better research tool, we need your help! Many tasks need willing volunteers. You can help:
- Expand county articles
- Check links on pages
- ...and more
- ↑ Idaho State Historical Society Reference Series, "Counties Which No Longer Exist", Number 11 available online
- ↑ The Evolution of Washington Counties by Newton Carl Abbott, Fred E. Carver, 1979. Published by the Yakima Valley Genealogical Society and Klickitat County Genealogical Society.
- ↑ Arlene H. Eakle, "Have you searched and searched for a marriage without finding it?" in Genealogy Blog at http://www.arleneeakle.com/wordpress/2007/02/19/have-you-searched-and-searched-for-the-marriage-without-finding-it/ (accessed 8 January 2011).
- This page was last modified on 24 October 2013, at 14:21.
- This page has been accessed 104,090 times.
New to the Research Wiki?
In the FamilySearch Research Wiki, you can learn how to do genealogical research or share your knowledge with others.Learn More