Idaho, Caribou County Records (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
The collection consists of the following records located at the county courthouse in Soda Springs.
|Subject||Record Type||Years Covered|
|Naturalization Records||Declarations of intent||1880-1892|
|Military Records||Discharge papers||1919-1948|
|Probate Records||Estates, wills, and case files||1869-1952|
|School Records||School censuses||1880-1940|
|Court Records||Coroner's inquests||1905-1920|
The record content varies by record type. It may include any of the following pieces of information:
- Name of primary individual
- Event date
- Event place
- Names of parents
- Biographical information about parents such as date and place of birth
- Names of heirs, such as spouse, children, other relatives, or friends
- Names of the executor, administrator, or guardian
- Names of witnesses
- Dates the documents were written and recorded (used to approximate event dates since a will was usually written near the time of death)
- Description and value of property or land
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The place where the event occurred
- The approximate date the event occurred
- The name of the individual or individuals such as the names of the bride and groom
Search the Collection
To search the collection :
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "_____________" category
⇒Select the "_____________" category
⇒Select the "_____________" category which takes you to the images
Look at each image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details. Add this new information to your records of each family. The information may also lead you to other records about your ancestors. The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the marriage date and place as the basis for compiling a new family group or for verifying existing information.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth of each partner to find a couple's birth records and parents' names.
- Use the birth date or age along with the place of birth to find the family in census records.
- Use the residence and names of the parents to locate church and land records.
- Use the parent’s birth places to find former residences and to establish a migration pattern for the family.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Earlier records may not contain as much information as the records created after the late 1800s.
- There is some variation in the information given from one record to another record.
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname. This is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have been born, married, or died in the same county or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family or even the second marriage of a parent. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for an index. There are often indexes at the beginning of each volume.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Idaho, Caribou items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Idaho Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Caribou County, Idaho.|
Related Wiki Articles
- Idaho Vital Records
- Idaho Land and Property
- Idaho Naturalization and Citizenship
- Idaho Military Records
- Idaho Probate Records
- Idaho Court Records
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- County Clerk. "Idaho, Caribou County Records,1919-1969." Caribou County Clerk, Soda Springs, Idaho.
|The citation for an image will be available on each image once the collection is published.|
- This page was last modified on 19 November 2014, at 23:38.
- This page has been accessed 1,046 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page