Idaho, Death Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
This collection contains an index to deaths created by the Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics. Covering deaths filed between July 1, 1911 and December 31, 1961 including deaths filed after the Bureau of Vital Records was open, that occurred before July 1,1911.
Key genealogical facts found in this index include:
- Death date
- Death place
- City or town code
- Certificate number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the name and other identifying information such as approximate age at the time of death.
Search the Collection
Fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. The information may lead you to other records about your ancestors. The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the certificate number to request a copy of the death certificate.
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the location find the family in census, church, and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have died in the same place or nearby.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for a different index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for This Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics. Idaho, Death Index, 1890-1961. Idaho State Registrar, Boise Idaho.
|The citation for an image will be available on each image once the collection is published.|
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2014, at 15:23.
- This page has been accessed 1,124 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page