Idaho, Divorce Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Idaho, Divorce Index, 1947-1961 .
The collection consists of an index to divorces created by the Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics. Covering divorces filed between May 1, 1947 and December 31, 1961.
Information found in this collection may include:
- Names of husband and wife
- Date of divorce
- Divorce place
- Cetificate number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- Names of interested parties
- Date and place of divorce
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line article [FamilySearch Tips and Tricks].
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. Save a copy of the image or transcribe the information. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details such as age, or wife's maiden name. Add this new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. Use the certificate number to obtain a full copy of the divorce record.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the surnames.
- Check for another index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
- Search the records of nearby counties.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Idaho, Vital Records items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Idaho Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this state see the wiki article Idaho.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Souces include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Idaho, Divorce Index, 1947-1961" Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics, Boise.
- This page was last modified on 2 October 2014, at 00:10.
- This page has been accessed 1,405 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki