Idaho, Eastport Arrival Manifests (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Idaho, Eastport Arrival Manifests, 1924-1956 .
This collection contains arrival and departure manifests at Eastport, Idaho from 1924-1956. It corresponds with NARA Publication A3460: Manifests of Alien Arrivals at Eastport, Idaho, 1924-1956.
For a list of records by surnames and dates currently published in this collection, select the Browse.
Passenger lists generally include the following information:
- Accompanied by
- Birth place
- Last permanent residence
- Name and address of nearest relative
- Physical features
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know
- The name of immigrant
- The approximate date of Arrival
If you do not know this information, check the U.S. census records after 1900.
Search the Collection
To search the collection by name fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about those in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person.
To search the collection image by image
⇒Select the "Browse" link in the initial search page
⇒Select the "Surname Range" which takes you to the images. Search the collection by image comparing the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor.
Be aware that with either search you may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These pieces of information may give you new biographical details that can lead you to other records about your ancestors. Add this new information to your records of each family. For example, you can use passenger lists to:
- Learn an immigrant’s place of origin
- Confirm their date of arrival
- Learn foreign and “Americanized” names
- Find records in his or her country of origin such as emigrations, port records, or ship’s manifests.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- If your ancestor had a common name, be sure to look at all the entries for a name before you decide which is correct.
- Continue to search the passenger lists to identify siblings, parents, and other relatives in the same or other generations who may have immigrated at the same time.
- If your ancestor has an uncommon surname, you may want to obtain the passenger list of every person who shares your ancestor’s surname if they lived in the same county or nearby. You may not know how or if they are related, but the information could lead you to more information about your own ancestors.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the name.
- Look for other indexes. Records are often indexed by local historical and genealogical societies.
- Search the indexes of other port cities.
|FHL Place Idaho, Boundary, Eastport items or FHL Keyword United States, Idaho, Boundary, Eastport items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Idaho Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citing FamilySearch Historical Collections
Citations for individual image records are available for this collection. Browse through images in this collection and click on the "Show Citation" box: Idaho, Eastport Arrival Manifests
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information. This will help you or others to find the record again. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records.
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Idaho, Eastport Arrival Manifests, 1924-1956." Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing NARA microfilm publication A3460. Washington, D.C.: National Archives and Records Administration, n.d.
- This page was last modified on 3 July 2014, at 10:09.
- This page has been accessed 1,452 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki