Idaho, Marriage Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Idaho, Marriage Index, 1947-1961 .
The collection consists of an index to marriages created by the Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics. Covering marriages filed between May 1, 1947 and December 31, 1961.
Information found in the marriage index includes the following:
- Marriage date
- Marriage place
- Spouse's Name
- Certificate Number
How to Use the Record
To begin your search it is helpful to know the following:
- The name of the person at the time of marriage
- The approximate marriage date and place
- The name of the intended spouse
Search the Collection
Fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the ancestors in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to compare the information about more than one person to find your ancestor.
As you are searching it is helpful to know such information as your ancestor’s given name and surname, some identifying information such as residence and age, and family relationships. Remember that there may be more than one person in the records with the same name as your ancestor and that your ancestor may have used nicknames or different names at different times.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. The information may lead you to other records about your ancestors. The following examples show ways you can use the information:
- Use the certificate number to request a copy of the death certificate.
- Use the estimated age to calculate a birth date.
- Use the location find the family in census, church, and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Continue to search the index and records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives who may have married in the same place or nearby.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- Be aware that, as with any index, transcription errors may occur.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Check for variant spellings of the names.
- Look for a different index. Local genealogical and historical societies often have indexes to local records.
|FHL Place United States, Idaho items or FHL Keyword Idaho items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Idaho Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Record collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher and archive for the original records.
- "Idaho, Marriage Index, 1947-1961" Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Bureau of Vital Records and Health Statistics, Boise.
- This page was last modified on 19 August 2014, at 20:36.
- This page has been accessed 1,215 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki