Idaho, Teton County Historical Photographs (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records scheduled to become available at FamilySearch.org.|
Whenever possible, FamilySearch makes images available for all users. However, ultimate rights to view images on our website are granted by the record custodians. The "Idaho, Teton County Historical Photographs, 1869-1976" collection is available to the Family History Library, FamilySearch Centers, and to members of the supporting organization, The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. The images can be viewed at a FamilySearch Center near you. You may want to contact the center near you before your visit, to verify that the center is equipped with the capability to view these restricted images on www.familysearch.org.
The Teton County Photos Collection is a collection of approximately 2000 historical photos from Teton County, Idaho. The collection includes photographs from Driggs, Victor, Tetonia and other small communities in the area of the Grand Teton Mountain Range for the years 1869 to 1976. This index does not include every photograph in the collection but is limited to those containing individuals who have been identified by the record custodian.
The original collection was compiled and indexed by Teton County, and has been digitized by BYU-Idaho. The entire collection, as well as a more detailed description of each photograph, can be found on the BYU (Provo) Library website.
The records generally contain the following:
- Contractor's name - usually refers to the family name associated with the photograph
- Date photograph was taken
- Description of the content of the photograph
How to Use the Record
To begin your search you will need to know the following:
- The person’s name or the family name
- The approximate date the photo was taken or the dates the family lived in the area
Search the Collection
To search the collection fill in the requested information in the boxes on the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about the individuals in the list to what you already know about your ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person. You may need to look at the information on several individuals comparing the information about them to your ancestors to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names, or variations of their name, throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the wiki article FamilySearch Search Tips and Tricks.
Using the Information
Once you have located your ancestor’s record, carefully evaluate each piece of information given for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example, use the place and date the photo was taken to search for the family in census, church, land, probate or other county records
Tips to Keep in Mind
- Compile the photos for every person who has the same surname.
- When looking for a common surname, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
- If you are unable to find your ancestor check for variant spellings of the surnames.
|Don't overlook FHL Keyword Idaho, Teton items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see the wiki article Idaho Archives and Libraries. For additional information about this county see the wiki article Teton County, Idaho.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citations for this Collection
When you copy information from a record, you should list where you found the information; that is, cite your sources. This will help people find the record again and evaluate the reliability of the source. It is also good to keep track of records where you did not find information, including the names of the people you looked for in the records. Citations are available for the collection as a whole and each record or image individually.
- “Idaho, Teton County Historical Photographs, 1869-1976.” Index. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Brigham Young University, Provo, Utah.
Record Citation (or citation for the index entry):
|The citation for a record will be available with each record once the collection is published.|
- This page was last modified on 20 November 2014, at 16:38.
- This page has been accessed 359 times.
Share Your Opinion!
The Community Council Selection Committee is now accepting recommendations for potential council vacancies.Recommendations Page