Idaho Court RecordsEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Major Idaho courts that kept records of genealogical value were established as follows:
- District courts have countywide jurisdiction over civil and criminal proceedings, including divorce actions, naturalization and property. Researchers may find divorce decrees in the Judgment and Miscellaneous register series in the clerk's office. Some of the records may have been transferred to the Idaho State Archives in Boise. A few of the early registers have been microfilmed by the Family History Library.
- Probate courts had jurisdiction over probates, adoptions and minor civil matters until they were abolished in 1971. Their records and functions were assigned to the district courts or the magistrate divisions of the district courts. The registers and case files are often scattered in various vaults and storage areas in or adjacent to the local courthouse. Some counties are actively transferring their historical records to the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Some early registers and/or indexes have been filmed by the Family History Library.
- Justice of the peace courts had jurisdiction over minor cases until 1971 when they were abolished. Their jurisdiction was assigned to the district courts.
- Magistrate divisions of district courts are citywide courts assigned court cases by the various district courts. These cases generally include minor civil and criminal cases, probates, and juvenile matters.
The Family History Library does not presently have a significant collection of microfilmed Idaho court records. The Idaho State Archives has records of the Idaho Supreme Court and a growing collection of county level court case files and registers. To access those records which are available through the FamilySearch Catalog, use a Place-names Search for:
- IDAHO, [COUNTY] - COURT RECORDS
Web SitesIdaho Court Records
- This page was last modified on 18 July 2014, at 17:16.
- This page has been accessed 4,823 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki