Idaho Naturalization and CitizenshipEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Naturalization is the process of granting citizenship privileges and responsibilities to foreign-born residents. Naturalization papers are an important source of information about an immigrant's nation of origin, his foreign and "Americanized" names, residence, and date of arrival. Information in post-1906 records is more detailed and may include birth dates, birth places, and other information about the immigrant and members of his family.
Naturalization records for Idaho have usually been filed with the clerk of the U.S. District Court in each county courthouse. The records of some counties are in neighboring counties. The Idaho Supreme Court in Boise has some records from 1890.
Copies of the district court naturalization records since 1906 have been sent to the United States Citizenship and Immigration Services (formerly INS). The INS case files may include the original applications and may contain affidavits, copies of vital record certificates, photographs, emigration materials, and other information. To access these case files, use the Genealogy option at the [United States Citizenship and Immigration Service] website.
Idaho State Archives
Some counties in Idaho have transferred their naturalization records to the Idaho State Archives in Boise. That facility also has some of the Idaho State Supreme Court's records.
PARL has created an index to the original paper copies of naturalization records in their holdings. Most of those records are those transferred from the counties and may include the following information:
- Last name
- Given name
- Country of nativity
- Type of record
When a name in the index is listed more than once, possibly more than one kind of citizenship record exists for that individual.
Instructions for obtaining a copy of the original record are given on the website. The request may be made by mail, e-mail or telephone. There are photocopy and research fees for this service. Check the FamilySearch Catalog to determine if the record is also in the library holdings.
Family History Library
- United States District Court, Naturalization Records, Southern District, Boise, Idaho, 1891-1934 (SLC, Utah, 1987) FHL film 1513549 items 1–6 (first of 12)
- United States District Court, Naturalization Records, Northern District, Coeur d'Alene, Idaho, 1909-1929 (SLC, Utah, 1987) FHL film 1513552 item 6 (first of 5)
- United States District Court, Naturalization Records, Central District, Moscow, Idaho, 1892-1935 (SLC, Utah, 1987) FHL film 1513554 items 2–8
- United States District Court, Naturalization Records, Eastern District, Pocatello, Idaho, 1893-1945 (SLC, Utah, 1987) FHL film 1513554 items 9–10 (first of five).
- To locate county naturalization records go to the Place-names Search in the FamilySearch Catalog under:
- IDAHO, [COUNTY] - NATURALIZATION AND CITIZENSHIP
- This page was last modified on 30 January 2015, at 04:53.
- This page has been accessed 4,661 times.
Future Changes to the Wiki
Changes are coming to the FamilySearch Research Wiki in the near future. Find out more on the Wiki Community News page.Community News