From FamilySearch Wiki
United States U.S. Newspapers Idaho Newspapers
Newspapers provide valuable genealogical information, including obituaries, marriage announcements, biographical sketches, divorce notices, and so forth. Other personal information may be included in various sections of a newspaper.
Idaho newspapers were first published in the 1860s.
Locating Idaho Newspapers
- Many currently published newspapers as well as some issues of older newspapers are available at the Idaho State Archives in Boise. Copies of newspaper collections or newspapers clippings may also be found at public and university libraries or historical societies locally. Idaho State University in Pocatello also has a good collection of newspapers for Idaho.
- The U.S. Newspaper Directory, 1690-Present is a national directory from the Library of Congress of over 140,000 newspaper titles. The directory provides a list of libraries from around the country that have the newspapers in their collections.
Digital Issues Online
- Copies of some Idaho newspapers, especially for Ada, Bannock, Bonneville, Canyon, and Caribou Counties are available online at Ancestry.com ($), a subscription web site. They are listed on the county and town Wiki pages.
- NewspaperArchive.com ($) has a collection of digitized Idaho newspapers online. This database is sometimes free at libraries. It may be under the name Access NewspaperArchive.
- Genealogybank ($) has a collection of digitzied Idaho newspapers online.
This page was last modified on 6 July 2012, at 21:39.
This page has been accessed 7,392 times.