Ightham, KentEdit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
Guide to Ightham, Kent family history and genealogy: parish register transcripts, census records, birth records, marriage records, and death records.
Ightham St Peter Kent
|Poor Law Union||Malling PLU|
|Parish registers: 1559|
|Bishop's Transcripts: 1669|
|Diocese||Pre-1845 - Rochester; Post-1844 - Canterbury|
|Probate Court||Pre-1845 - Court of the Peculiar of the Archbishop of Canterbury in the Deaneries of Arches, Croydon and Shoreham; Post-1844 - Search the courts of surrounding parishes|
|Location of Archive|
|Kent Record Office|
IGHTHAM (St. Peter), a parish, in the union of West Malling, hundred of Wrotham, lathe of Aylesford, W. division of Kent, 1¾ mile (S. W.) from Wrotham. There is a place of worship for Wesleyans.
Ightham is a village and civil parish in the Sevenoaks district of Kent. Ightham Wikipedia It is noted for the National Trust medieval moated manor house Ightham Mote Wikipedia
Ightham St Peter is an Ancient Parish in the Diocese of Rochester; a map of the parish boundary is available at A church near you
The church of St Peter, Fen Pond Road Ightham has been designated as a grade I listed building British listed building
The Wesleyan Methodist church which dates from 1848 Ightham, Chapel Row
This parish was from 1837 in the Malling registration district
Kent County Council (KCC) has a certificate centre at the Mansion House in Tunbridge Wells which holds all the completed registers for Kent since 1 July 1837 and can supply a certified copy of any Kent birth, death or marriage entry from any register within its custody or a Kent civil partnership registration from the government online database.
The Mansion House
Grove Hill Road
Kent TN1 1EP
Birth, marriages and deaths were kept by the government, from July 1837 to the present day. The civil registration article tells more about these records. There are several Internet sites with name lists or indexes. A popular site is FreeBMD.
Ightham, Kent parish registers of christenings, marriages and burials are available online for the following years:
|Ightham, Kent Parish Online Records|
|BIVRI||1830-1834, 1856-1863, 1888-1890||
|FS PRs||1559-1896||1559-1901; 1754-1865 (banns)||1559-1900|
International Genealogical Index Christenings 1559-1875 Batches (C131501, C131502) Marriages 1560-1705; 1724-1876 1888-1895 Batches (M131501-M131503)
Images for Ightham are available at FamilySearch Records see England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) 1780-1831
FamilySearch Records includes collections of census indexes which can be searched online for free. In addition FamilySearch Centres offer free access to images of the England and Wales Census through FHC Portal Computers here have access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
 to locate local Family History Centres in UK
 to locate outside UK.
Many archives and local history collections in public libraries in England and Wales offer online census searches and also hold microfilm or fiche census returns.
Images of the census for 1841-1891 can be viewed in census collections at Ancestry (fee payable) or Find My Past (fee payable)
The 1851 census of England and Wales attempted to identify religious places of worship in addition to the household survey census returns.
Poor Law Unions
Records of wills, administrations, inventories, indexes, etc. were filed by the court with jurisdiction over this parish. Go to Kent Probate Records to find the name of the court having primary jurisdiction. Scroll down in the article to the section Court Jurisdictions by Parish.
Local Family History Centre
- FHC Portal This centre has access to the Family History Centre Portal page which gives free access in the centre to premium family history software and websites that generally charge for subscriptions.
- Publication of the restricted access images England, Kent, Wills and Probate (FamilySearch Historical Records) and England, Kent, Land Tax Assessments (FamilySearch Historical Records) means that it is advisable to telephone the centre to reserve a computer if you wish to view these collections using the portal.
Maps and Gazetteers
Maps are a visual look at the locations in England. Gazetteers contain brief summaries about a place.
- ↑ Samuel A. Lewis, A Topographical Dictionary of England (1848), pp. 603-608. Date accessed: 15 August 2013.
- ↑ 'British Isles Vital Records Index - 2nd Ed. Breakdown of Records', Genoot, accessed 7 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Bishop's Transcripts, 1560-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 11 November 2013.
- ↑ 'England, Kent, Parish Registers, 1538-1911,' FamilySearch, accessed 13 November 2013.
- ↑ Hugh Wallis, 'IGI Batch Numbers for Kent, England,' IGI Batch Numbers, accessed 18 November 2013.
| This section requires expansion with:
any additional relevant sites that aren't mentioned above.
- This page was last modified on 3 June 2014, at 15:38.
- This page has been accessed 3,910 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki