Illinois, Cook County, Maywood, Maywood Herald Obituary Card Index (FamilySearch Historical Records)Edit This Page
From FamilySearch Wiki
|This article describes a collection of historical records available at FamilySearch.org.|
Access the records: Illinois, Cook County, Maywood, Maywood Herald Obituary Card Index, 1885-2002 .
The collection consists of images of a surname card index from the Maywood Public Library. The index is largely comprised of obituaries, as well as a list of "Maywoodians" (residents of the city of Maywood). The records are from the "Maywood Herald" newspaper, now called the "Proviso Herald." The collection includes records from 1885 to 2002.
For a list of records by date or locality currently published in this collection, select the Browse link from the collection landing page.
Information in the Illinois, Cook, Maywood Public Library, Obituary Indexes includes the following:
- Name of deceased
- Date of death
How to Use the Record
To begin your search you will need to know the following:
- Name of deceased
- Identifying formation such as death date
Search the Collection
To search the collection by name fill in your ancestor’s name in the initial search page. This search will return a list of possible matches. Compare the information about those in the list to what you already know about your own ancestors to determine if this is the correct family or person.
If you did not find the person you were looking for, you may need to search the collection image by image.
⇒Select "Browse through images" on the initial collection page
⇒Select "Surname Range" which takes you to the images
Look at the images one by one. Again you will need to compare the information with what you already know about your ancestors to determine which one is your ancestor.
Be aware that with either search you may need to compare the information about more than one person to make this determination. Keep in mind:
- There may be more than one person in the records with the same name.
- You may not be sure of your own ancestor’s name.
- Your ancestor may have used different names or variations of their name throughout their life.
- If your ancestor used an alias or a nickname, be sure to check for those alternate names.
- Even though these indexes are very accurate they may still contain inaccuracies, such as altered spellings, misinterpretations, and optical character recognition errors if the information was scanned.
For tips about searching on-line collections see the on-line video at FamilySearch Search Tips.
Using the Information
When you have located your ancestor’s obituary, carefully evaluate each piece of information given. These records are often brief so it can be easy to confuse individuals. Compare what information is given with what you already know about your ancestor to make sure it is the correct person.
Next, look at the pieces of information given in the obituary for new information. Add any new information to your records of each family. You should also look for leads to other records about your ancestors. For example:
- Use the birth date or year to search for birth records.
- Use the birth date along with relative’s names to find the family in census records.
- Use the locality and relative’s names to locate church and land records.
Tips to Keep in Mind
- The information on the card may lead you to the obituary. Contact the Maywood Public Library for more help.
- Information in these records is brief so it is easy to confuse individuals.
- The name of the undertaker or mortuary could lead you to funeral and cemetery records, which often include the names and residences of other family members.
- Compile the entries for every person who has the same surname; this is especially helpful in rural areas or if the surname is unusual.
- Continue to search the records to identify children, siblings, parents, and other relatives of the deceased who may have been buried in the same cemetery or nearby. This can help you identify other generations of your family. Repeat this process for each new generation you identify.
- When looking for a person who had a common name, look at all the entries for the name before deciding which is correct.
Unable to Find Your Ancestor?
- Look for variant spellings of the names. You should also look for nicknames and abbreviated names.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby counties.
- Try alternative search methods such as only filling in the surname search box (or the given name search box) on the landing page leaving the other box empty and then click on search. This should return a list of everyone with that particular name. You could then browse the list for individuals that may be your ancestor.
- Search the indexes and records of nearby cemeteries.
Known Issues with This Collection
For a full list of all known issues associated with this collection, see the attached Wiki article. If you encounter additional problems, please email them to email@example.com. Please include the full path to the link and a description of the problem in your e-mail. Your assistance will help ensure that future reworks will be considered.
|FHL Place United States, Illinois, Cook, Maywood items or FHL Keyword Illinois, Cook, Maywood items in the FamilySearch Library Catalog. For other libraries (local and national) or to gain access to items of interest, see Illinois Archives and Libraries.|
Related Wiki Articles
Contributions to This Article
|We welcome user additions to FamilySearch Historical Records wiki articles. Guidelines are available to help you make changes. Thank you for any contributions you may provide. If you would like to get more involved join the WikiProject FamilySearch Records.|
Citation for This Collection
The following citation refers to the original source of the information published in FamilySearch.org Historical Records collections. Sources include the author, custodian, publisher, and archive for the original records.
- "Illinois, Cook County, Maywood, Maywood Herald Obituary Card Index, 1885-2002" Images. FamilySearch. http://FamilySearch.org : accessed 2013. Citing Maywood Public Library.
- This page was last modified on 19 August 2014, at 21:36.
- This page has been accessed 6,163 times.
Share Your Opinion!
Review redesigns of wiki pages and give your feedbackImprove the Wiki